Twinzer Design/Experiment.

WillieP

Oct 22, 2016
South Carolina
One way to figure out if a twinzer fin system works is to cut some holes in a perfect good surfboard. See my post under the thread: Mitsven Magic/Larmo Honey Badger. I think it can be done, but I don’t have the technical expertise to move that post over here.

jonbiz

Jan 11, 2016
Wilmington NC
One way to figure out if a twinzer fin system works is to cut some holes in a perfect good surfboard. See my post under the thread: Mitsven Magic/Larmo Honey Badger. I think it can be done, but I don’t have the technical expertise to move that post over here.
No. Same as you can’t make a twin fin a twinzer. There’s more to just slapping on some canards. Unfortunately this is the main issue with twinzers, lots of shapers don’t do them correctly. I’ve committed to the twinzer design and will go deeper into it. Just ordered some shaping stuff. I’ve also had a lot of help from a few guys who are the reason some big name shapers are even making them. “Saved you five years of trial and error “
I’ve even DM Rusty to ask about the formula Jobson used. Learned this from a friend. Sucks because Wil’s ideas and knowledge are going to die with him.

WillieP

Oct 22, 2016
South Carolina
Actually, the post points out that the board Is a 2+1. As the post explains, the position of the side bite slots were positioned very similar to the position used by Larry Mabile on the Honey Badger. What I did not say in the post is that relative position of the rear fin slots to the canard slots were very different on the Mabile as compared to a Mitsven twinzer. Bob Mitsven consulted with Stun Kenson on the placement of the boxes since Bob doesn’t do many twinzers and he and Stu are located in the same area. So there are definitely more than one school of thought out there.

jonbiz

Jan 11, 2016
Wilmington NC
Actually, the post points out that the board Is a 2+1. As the post explains, the position of the side bite slots were positioned very similar to the position used by Larry Mabile on the Honey Badger. What I did not say in the post is that relative position of the rear fin slots to the canard slots were very different on the Mabile as compared to a Mitsven twinzer. Bob Mitsven consulted with Stun Kenson on the placement of the boxes since Bob doesn’t do many twinzers and he and Stu are located in the same area. So there are definitely more than one school of thought out there.
Got it. Missed the post on second page. Definitely be interesting. Are you a back footed surfer or front? How for off the rail and what did you decidefor how much overlap? Curious. Larmo uses a little different placement than Wil

WillieP

Oct 22, 2016
South Carolina
My leading sentence was meant to be facetious so it was misleading. The real reason this experiment happened is that SC Surf wanted a Honey Badger with a twinzer/single fin set up. When I would not sell him mine, he took matters in his own hands. He decided to take a Mitsven Magic, a board very similar to a Honey Badger both in terms of outline, bottom contours and rocker, and add a twinzer set up based on the configuration used on the Honey Badger. The alternative was to hunt down Larry Mabile, place an order, wait 3-10, months, and pay a lot of money. If it turns out he doesn’t like it as a twinzer, he can always use it as a 2+1 or with single fin. I can sure you, as the pictures in the post kind of depict, a lot thought and effort went into the placement of the the rear boxes.

jonbiz

Jan 11, 2016
Wilmington NC
Look forward to seeing how it goes. I’m just curious and geek out over certain designs. Twinzer has always been my favorite.

WillieP

Oct 22, 2016
South Carolina
Got it. Missed the post on second page. Definitely be interesting. Are you a back footed surfer or front? How for off the rail and what did you decidefor how much overlap? Curious. Larmo uses a little different placement than Wil
Look forward to seeing how it goes. I’m just curious and geek out over certain designs. Twinzer has always been my favorite.
This is Foster’s (SC Surf) project. I would call him a back footed surfer but he may disagree with me. As far as the placement, my understanding is that he took measurements on the Mabile and used them to determine the placement relative to the rail and overlap. Foster has been geeking over twinzers over 20 years ever since he had a Kane Garden Twinzer fish shaped by Larmo. I know he would enjoy sharing ideas with you and updating you with the results.

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
Any love, thoughts, or experience here for the Panda Shiitake...?

Was wondering the same about the Panda also I hit up Darcy in Oz and he said to get in touch with Timmy Patterson as he knows the formula too… Such an interesting culture and subculture of a subculture surfing is. One wonders what the Aussies are hiding down there in this style of board