Twin-ning a Tri-Fin

jonbiz

Jan 11, 2016
Wilmington NC
Route some fcs boxes @7 inches from tail. Set them roughly 1’3/8 from rail. You won’t be disappointed. I’m a future fin guy but fcs allows you to make your own fins out of g10. You can also adjust tabs to move fins fore and aft.

zippy

Mar 24, 2008
USA New Jersey
This 6’8’ LSD works really great with a twin set up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 42

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego
Route some fcs boxes @7 inches from tail. Set them roughly 1’3/8 from rail. You won’t be disappointed. I’m a future fin guy but fcs allows you to make your own fins out of g10. You can also adjust tabs to move fins fore and aft.
Are you saying to drop these new boxes into this board?

jonbiz

Jan 11, 2016
Wilmington NC
Are you saying to drop these new boxes into this board?
Sure. Measure to make sure they fit and go for it. When fins are too far forward you loose some drive. Getting them back around 7 inches up to 8 you get lots of drive from them.

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego
Hey all -

Have a 7'6" egg. It's my winter board - its a thruster and really egg-cels in shoulder+ stuff, but doesn't generate much of it's own speed at all in smaller conditions. Wanted to experiment with some keel fins - run it as a twin - maybe this will help with speed?

Anyone on here tried something similar?

Basing my logic off my actual 7'1" twin - it's 11in from the back of the boxes to the tail. Whereas on the 7'6" egg, it's 13in. However with the keel fins being so wide in the base, it's 11in from the back of the fins to the pin of the board's tail (same as my twin).

I have this little trailer fin... but doesn't this defeat the purpose if the goal is speed?

Obviously, I'l have to try it out and see for myself - but thought I'd ask ya'll.

Will losing the middle-fin make that big of a difference with holding speed off the bottom? Or is the speed issue really a shape issue?ie... eggs like this need more wave to really work?

Thanks!

Finally got this guy out there Sunday afternoon in waves that were probably big enough to run a conventional thruster set up - haha. Oh well - Swell was 5.2 ft - but they break fat and slopey at this spot - some of those faces felt 8 ft. Not the best conditions to test and see if the twin makes it faster in smaller stuff - so, to be continued on that score. But holy shit did this set up go fast in bigger waves. Had that skatey delay in the bottom turn that felt a little too loose and beyond my skill level for waves that size... but had a couple waves toward the end of session where things connected and I felt more control. Notably, the worst waves were the ones where I tried to nurse it... either the takeoff or the turns. Really seemed to come alive and respond the more I committed to whatever maneuver it was. Anyway - cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_1010.jpeg
    IMG_1010.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego
They were Future's T1's, upright and not keels so maybe not a great comparison to the experiment you're running. You probably have a much greater chance of success haha
First time out went with the Neal Purchase Junior set from Captain Fin - fairly upright as Twins go but had the trailer fin. No slipping out - but man was it fast. Wrote it up a bit below.