Twin fin fish glider - what has been your experience?

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
I've played around with a lot of gliders from the "got it on lock" shapers. I'm pretty versed on single fin Pintail, square tail and fish Simmons (3&4fin) set ups but recently I have been curious about a long fish in the 10' range with twin fins (not keels).

I'm nearing the point of offing the CC Chris Craft for something different. Wondering how far from the typical set up(s) I should wander.

My initial hesitation is I havent ridden one or seen any and I'm curious as to why? too tracky? too loose?
Has anyone here surfed a twin fin (not keels) glider? what has been your experience?
How sensitive to fin choice and placement with this be?
Would you go 8" or 10" tail?
Any comparisons to single or fish Simmons set up would be helpful

thanks in advance

Malibootay

Sep 13, 2017
Newport/West Hills
Im also very curious. I want a megafish pretty bad, I've seen one guy riding one and it looked like the most fun board out there that day. But- I see them pop up pretty often so I wonder if people have a tough time with them. You brought up a lot of good questions I'm hoping to hear some answers too also.

JBorbone

Oct 18, 2017
St Augustine, FL
I feel as though upright twins wouldn't hold enough water to keep the tail planted. Keels have a way wider base and less flex than twins, so more hold.

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
thanks - sounds about right and probably why we dont see this concept
Plus, the more I think about it the more it seems like it would take a few iterations or a pile of fins to refine and dial in and in reality I dont have access to waves frequently enough to waste sessions f'ing around.

Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
if I were you, I'd give Albers' Deepest Reaches twin glider. IMO, him or Larmo so you do not have to spend a lot of money. Those guys make more of this design/fin set than anyone else. Why reinvent the wheel, you know, the one that turns? There's a 9'10" on sale here by a poster. Drag yourself out of the pit of boutique boards.

ac95

Jun 3, 2014
Los Angeles,California
I had an 11’ Double Eagle shape by the guys at Watermans. The twin fins felt very skatey and loose. I enjoyed the single fin with a Skip Frye smaller single fin. More drive and turn ability.

Mizrachi

May 16, 2013
NY
"...in reality I dont have access to waves frequently enough to waste sessions f'ing around." - said every east coaster

Members online