Twin Fin, , , , , but not what you think, , , , ,!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by dingpatch, Sep 6, 2019.

1. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. little juanito

little juanito Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Pretty neat snippet DP. Makes one think about shapin' one such like.?!

3. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Look out Bill Thrailkill..from Swaylocks...who has been shaping since 1958..and pretty much invented everything
    Is gonna get his panties/planer in a twist..ha

I absolutely love this...thank you so much for posting this!!

ParSurf and Ricksurfin like this.
  4. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
  5. dingpatch

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    This kind of "Old" design/technology could really open up a few "new doors" in regard to longboard designs. Figure out what "works" and "does not work" on it and see what comes of it. Don't let shapewright see this; all your single fins will be obsolete!

6. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    It is way cool...
    Thrailkill has a set up.....in which he puts 2 longboard boxes on each side of the center..against it.
    I have reports it goes like the wind...check swaylocks..
    And of course neil purchase duos..he has been doing longer mid lengths..so who knows
    I say ..way cool....
    And way cool for posting DP!

And of course..never know what bruce fowler might be up to?
    A duo platypus..NVM...hmmm..paging the deadshaper to the foam covered courtesy phone...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  7. dingpatch

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Ya, all of this kind of goes against everything we were "taught to know" about longboards.

DanSan likes this.
  8. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Bear Mirandon of Surfboards LaJolla Twin Fin Boards like that one in the clip made. He designed and shaped a few boards around 1966-7 they had split fish tails and deep a deep concave. Something tells me we will start seeing more of those Longboard shapes like that in the in the water. Yes there are a number of guider split tail twins but I think we will start to see some performance Longboard Twins trending at a Beach near you. What can I say I want to be one of those “influencers” so I can make money just posting crap on the inter-web.

DanSan likes this.
  9. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Ha, now THAT is funny. I think Bob Haakenson told me he started with the Mirandons before going to Surfboards Hawaii up on the hill in Encinitas where his brainchild was the "Model A".

I did think this piece was fantastic. The filming is quality, the angles obtained over the moon. Living in that house is on a par with Pipeline house or beyond.
    Too cool.

DJR and DanSan like this.
  10. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    You are correct sir...simon jones MOTE surfboards..made torren martyn a twin fin glider...recently..
    Not sure ..but i think the fins are like rasta keels he uses in the massive model..he makes(fyi...which i get in 2 weeks it is done!..yes!)

Again..i think it is all good....

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019