Trueline Surfboards..?

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
anybody familiar with them? Back in 09', in HI on a consulting gig that ran spring through summer, flew in without boards (a first), scooped up some CL boards once there. One in the mix was an 8'0 Truline mini HPLB that turned out to be hella fun for average Diamond Head surf.

A SF bay area surf/snowboard shop owner routinely has both Trueline and Doyle's for sale on CL, both brands appear to be coming off the same CNC and through the same glass shop, obviously lower end shop boards.

Boards don't work well by accident, however, regardless of source, and have remained curious as to who's behind Trueline if anyone has the 411.​

Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
Some 3rd world, non-surfing CAD slave no doubt. Just goes to show you.

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
Some 3rd world, non-surfing CAD slave no doubt. Just goes to show you.

actually not..turns out Trueline is John Neve, a shaper operating out of Oceanside from 87' until a couple of years ago, hand shaped a lot of customs as well as put out a line of shop boards.

CAD/CNC..just another shaping tool when done right...lot more world class shapers use them these days then don't..for them it's a business, and far less wear and tear on their bodies from hand shaping means they can stay in business longer, and retire healthier..

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
actually not..turns out Trueline is John Neve, a shaper operating out of Oceanside from 87' until a couple of years ago, hand shaped a lot of customs as well as put out a line of shop boards.

CAD/CNC..just another shaping tool when done right...lot more world class shapers use them these days then don't..for them it's a business, and far less wear and tear on their bodies from hand shaping means they can stay in business longer, and retire healthier..
If that's the case, what's the difference between a shaper using a CAD/CNC machine in California or one in Guangzhou?

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
The human putting the board in the machine in Guangzhou drinks a different flavor of Kool-aid than the one doing it in California.

If your personal mojo requires the purity/sanctity of hand shaped only, that's your choice. The boards in my current quiver have been hand shaped as well, because I'm currently using a low volume PNW shaper.

And would have absolutely no problem ordering another Rusty or Arakawa or Bing, Coletta or CI, shapers who previously hand shaped me boards, and now use CAD/CNC. Had a lengthy discussion with Clint Preisendorfer about this 5 years ago..every one of the shapers at Rusty, some with 30,000 hand shaped boards behind them, have become huge fans of CAD/CNC, able to minutely tweak designs with more precision then ever.

Because when it comes to shaping, it's not about kool-aid, it's all about GIGO..

What is about kool-aid, however, are the non-shaping surfers who are much more 'offended' by CNC shapes then the vast majority of shapers themselves are.

you a grape or orange kool-aid guy..?

Reactions: DJR

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
Conclusion : douchebag topic from the get go
As soon as one uses the word "mojo"....well...you're not quite the operator you think you are. Never were.

I know sleep will be difficult for you once you read this. But, I'm sure you have some remedy for that. If not, I am available as a life coach. PM me for your adjusted rate.

Last edited:

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
Conclusion : douchebag topic from the get go
As soon as one uses the word "mojo"....well...you're not quite the operator you think you are. Never were.

I know sleep will be difficult for you once you read this. But, I'm sure you have some remedy for that. If not, I am available as a life coach. PM me for your adjusted rate.

Peakmaster, here's a public apology for having obviously hurt your feelings during a previous exchange. Hopefully you can now let it go.