Travel Bag advice

racebikes

Aug 11, 2014
Hey there - I'm headed to Costa Rica in the Spring for some much needed R&R and I'm planning to take a couple of boards with me. Any advice on what case / bags I should be looking at and how to pack the boards? I'm planning to take an 8' and a 6'.

Jan 8, 2011
Netherlands
I got a Dakine worldtraveller and it has always worked fine for me! I always packed my boards with cardboard on bottom and deck, isolationpipe around the rails and bubblefoam to fill the rest of the bag. I have bought flexi hex packing to try next trip. Unfortunately i haven’t used it yet due too Covid.

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
I got a Dakine worldtraveller and it has always worked fine for me! I always packed my boards with cardboard on bottom and deck, isolationpipe around the rails and bubblefoam to fill the rest of the bag. I have bought flexi hex packing to try next trip. Unfortunately i haven’t used it yet due too Covid.
This is a good way to pack boards for travel. Keep the bag as light as possible and don't pack a bunch of towels and shit in it. If its too heavy for you to lift over your head without shooting a testicle across the livingroom it will not be top loaded in a cargo pit.

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
for 2 boards: foam around the rails and bubbles on the side that will face the outside of the bag then into a day bag. You will want day bags when you get to where you are headed. There is no need for a layer of cardboard between the two boards if in a day bag. put the cardboard on the bottom and top on the outsides of the day bags.
basically a cardboard sandwich inside your travel bag.
Bread = cardboard, lettuce = day bags; meat= boards + bubbles and pipe insulation.
Pack it tight so that nothing can shift around but not so tight TSA cant inspect. Pack it light so that baggage peeps dont hate on you.

pro tip
Lately I have been adding a note( English and Spanish) inside my bag requesting that TSA repack as they found it. The only damage I've gotten in the past is from TSA saying fuqqit and just shoving boards back in the bags in a way they were not packed.

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
Flexi hexi sounds like a good option. Think it’s baggage handler stomp proof? Would love to use my regular daybag and these things.

Nov 29, 2020
Los Angeles
I've talked to multiple people about the traveling with boards scenario. Generally sounds like a great option is to put your two boards in day bags and then load those into a travel bag. Just make sure to keep the weight under 50lbs.

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
Flexi hexi sounds like a good option. Think it’s baggage handler stomp proof? Would love to use my regular daybag and these things.
We don't stomp your shit. Another pro tip for the conveyor belts: get rid I'd any strappy doodad bullshit on all of your luggage. The belts (literally miles long under the airport) will eat them, the bags will jam, everyone will be pissed and they're not necessary anyway.

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
We don't stomp your shit. Another pro tip for the conveyor belts: get rid I'd any strappy doodad bullshit on all of your luggage. The belts (literally miles long under the airport) will eat them, the bags will jam, everyone will be pissed and they're not necessary anyway.
Great tip thanks.

Do you think those hex things over a board in a daybag will work out? Or maybe even on their own ?

Jan 8, 2011
Netherlands
I know a surfshop in the UK who ships their new boards to customers in a box and covered with flexi hex and i haven’t heard about damages. I am curious how good the protection is when it gets wet and how many times you can use the stuff.