Tragedy at sea

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    What I heard on the news is 'a boat of that size with that many people "requires a roving watch".

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    It's a USSG requirement for passenger carrying vessels either underway or anchored. The owners of the dive boat have already filed for an injunction in court to hold them harmless from any lawsuits, even though none have been filed yet, because if the investigation finds the crew were not following regulations at the time of the accident, the owner's insurance carrier will file for non financial responsibility as well, claiming their coverage was void at the time of the accident because the vessel was being operated unsafely per USCG regulations.

3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Good work, captain obvious. Regale us once again with your vast experience as a captain on an 85' boat. So fucking compelling. 35 souls Departed and you had to write your own mini novel of your experience. Fuck off for good.
    You lack the decency of acknowledging the tragedy of the lost lives and the horror of the cause and seized the opportunity to brag, once again, about bullshit no one worth their salt believes.
    Dude, we get it. You wanna be a writer. This tragedy is not the the time nor the place to attempt to prove yourself as some failed author. You truly are a sad clown.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    And once again the forum is vomit stained by the resident jackass indulging himself in yet another likely drunken spew.

That my experiences just drives you up the wall, that it makes you f'n rage with anger, says a whole lot more about you then it does me. Rage and anger no doubt your closest companions throughout a life poorly lived.

So keep spewing away, Spewmaster, even though it's just a boring yawn for everybody here, and keep up with those ulcer and blood pressure meds, you obviously really need them.

5. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Your professional interpretation/opinion ,Sir?

One thing I don't want hear is that asswipe, "Lance" aka Surfnfish...because he surfs and fishes bros, brag about how he concluded the cause, knew the captain, trained the crew, built the fucking boat, best buddys with every big time shaper, surfed every rad break on the globe, drank with Hemingway and opined the ocean's place in the matter. Is it just me or does anyone else call bullshit on this 0 for 3, wannabe author, pseudo-surfing renaissance man nonsense?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Mango Bill likes this.
  6. Tlri

Tlri Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    I love the aloha spirit!

I remember watching Bambi with my daughter when she was about 5.
    I think it was thumper that said “if you can’t say something nice then don’t say nothing at all.”

hankster and Andrew Johnson like this.
  7. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Criminal investigation under way, as it well should be. Primary law of passenger vessels was violated per crew interviews. Source of the fire doesn't matter, it could have been an absolutely survivable event if a someone was on watch. We'll see how it works out for the crew and Captain, we know how it worked out for the passengers and crew member who had put their safety in the hands of the crew.

PeakMaster likes this.
  8. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    It's a big jump to say it was "absolutely survivable." A Coast Guard guy who does forensic evaluations after fires, stated yesterday that it appears the fire began in the galley. And because the galley is directly above the sleeping quarters, it may have been impossible to get through the galley level if it was completely engulfed in flames. Doesn't sound survivable, depending on the speed of spread, even if there had been someone on watch. The boat's been raised. We'll see what the investigation determines.

9. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Is a watch function a requirement or a recommendation?