Top Five Longboards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Guest, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I just want to get feedback from people that have either ridden or know of what they think is the best top five longboards for all around use. A board that is versatile i.e works well in 1' to over head waves.Say a Magic model, or an Infinity Rad Noserider etc.......something that will be somewhat loose and nose ride as well.I am only going to buy one longboard so any advice and or help is appreciated. Thanks

2. Good Times

Good Times New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    Takayama DT-2
    Harbour H3
    Tudor HPNR
    Walden Magic Model
    Infinity Rad Noserider

It would be great to test all five. I have had the Tak, Harbour and Magic. They are all very versatile. Of the three, the DT-2 is the most well rounded. Donald puts flow into all his boards, they all seem soo smooth.
    I would recomend having your board custom built for sure. I am usually too impatiant. Now I wait to have my boards made.

3. gaucho

gaucho New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    USA Florida
    I've had a bunch of longboards and I really love classic style singlefins. But if I had to choose only one for all conditions, it'd be my Billy Hamilton (not the Surftech!) 9'2" 2+1. It does it all, noserides, catches the smallest ripple, handles well OH hurricane swell and surfs great off the tail. It amazes me how well rounded this board is. My current LB quiver is:

Carton (Costa Rica shaper) 9'0" singlefin
    Hamilton 9'2" 2+1
    Larry Mayo 9'6" Singlefin (great board from a great Florida shaper/craftman)
    Tudor NR04 Singlefin 9'6"
    Harbour 10' Bananna singlefin

Artz likes this.
  4. dtorrent

dtorrent Active Member

Jun 21, 2004
    I second the Tak DT2, which I just got last month. I would have said the Tak ITP prior to getting the DT2, but I can honestly say now that the DT2 is the ultimate one board quiver. Big or small, it's great. Paddles into waves with ease, crank a big turn, and run to the nose. I have actually gotten some of my best noserides in the past month, and I've ridden some big heavy singlefins for a long while.

5. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    I usually switch up to a smaller egg shape or bonzer when it gets overhead. I also enjoy an old school singlefin noserider. Here are my top 5 but remember I ride these in headhigh and under waves.

Bing Noserider (my favorite board)

Cooperfish DeviceII

Jacobs Mike Purpus model

Tudor Classic Pin (this is the best board for when it gets bigger)

& I'm loving my 67 Con CC Rider right now.

stevo likes this.
  6. waveslider

waveslider Active Member

Jun 3, 2005
    USA California
    Smokey wrote:
    I think that may be my favorite board of all time and I dont even own one. Need to track one down.

Cooperfish Hornet (own one can handle pretty much any size we get on the EC)

Tudor Classic Pin (Likes the juice, best friend has one)

Cooperfish Malibu Foil (have ridden a 10'6 a few times and love it)

Hunt Heavyweight (love the swing weight havent ridden it in anything overhead yet)

Takayama Stephen Slater Model- Might be the best all around out of all of them.

7. andersonfan

andersonfan Member

Feb 12, 2005
    USA California
    What type of breaks do you primarily surf and what kind of waves (Powerful and hollow, soft and crumbly, mix of both, East Coast/West Coast/Hawaii, etc) do you get there?

That should be your starting point.

AF

8. njrider

njrider Active Member

Jan 18, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    I surf mostly New Jersey beach break which can be waist high and glassy to overhead and powerfull. I also switch to an egg when the surf gets overhead.

That being said, my top longboards for waist high to head high surf (in no order):

1-Hap Jacobs performance 422 (more turn, less glide)

2-Hap Jacobs traditional 422 (more glide, less turn)

3-Hap Jacobs East Coast model (a little of each)

4-Clean Ocean Surfboards North East noserider

5-Bing pintail lightweight

dewey likes this.
  9. enchilladas

enchilladas New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    USA
    1-cooperfish nosedevil (don't own one, but it's still my favorite board so far)

2-any Nuuhiwa noserider in the 9'8" range

3-tak indapink

4-uncle mike hp

5-tudor diamond tail

I'm sure my Creme will slide in there when I get 'em:p

10. twizzly

twizzly Member

Dec 22, 2006
    I surf mostly So Cal beach breaks with an occasional lucky trip down to Doheny State Beach or San O'.

Thanks to the help from this board, I have:

1) ST Gordon & Smith 10' Classic Noserider w/ a True Ames Heritage Fin

2) Cobalt 9'8" 2+1 w/ a True Ames Cal Classic Fin

Both are excellent boards that I very much enjoy riding! Thanks guys!

[​IMG][​IMG]