To concave or to not concave??

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
Ok - everyone has an opinion, and I am interested in hearing them. Putting together new board (single fin log, expect to spend some time close to the nose) and am undecided on how much, if any concave to put in it. I am not a great fan of deep concaves, but I also have not ridden that many different boards in the recent past so I am certainly not an experienced enough with different designs to make a informed decision.

Do they really help with nose rides? What's the effect on paddling? Any and all comments appreciated. I've already got an opinion, but I'd like to hear others before I commit $$.

MonkeyBoy

Feb 15, 2004
USA
I know that my Hunt has a flat bottom and is faster in trim and paddles better than any board I have ridden. As far as noseriding goes its hard for me to really say because I am not that proficient at it. I have gotten more nose time on this board than any other but I think that is because I am a better surfer now.

I know Smokey rode my Hunt and also rides a Bing NR with that big concave so he may be able to help differentiate between the two....

Just the fact that concave creates lift you would think it would have to help but then again some people say it is a matter of preference.....

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
MB - thanks. Sounds like you are really happy with your Hunt. Do you have any issues with pearling with the flat rocker on the New Dimension?

aslbuck

Jan 29, 2005
i spend a lot of time on the nose of my malibu foil which has no concave. its my favorite longboard i have ever ridden. prefer it over my 1966 bing nuuhiwa and my 1966 rick noserider. prefer it over my past sticks too, which include an anderson farberow. its more a matter of what you like. personally, i prefer the no concave MF.

Rob Tahan

May 24, 2006
USA Maryland
I like concaves because you get better performance out of the board. You may not go as fast as quickly but cutting turns quicker and dropping in later is worth it to me.

:cool:

aslbuck

Jan 29, 2005
i could be wrong on this, but i do believe late drop-ins are more connected to rocker than concave.

Rob Tahan wrote:
I like concaves because you get better performance out of the board. You may not go as fast as quickly but cutting turns quicker and dropping in later is worth it to me.

:cool:

MonkeyBoy

Feb 15, 2004
USA
nedsurf wrote:
MB - thanks. Sounds like you are really happy with your Hunt. Do you have any issues with pearling with the flat rocker on the New Dimension?

I mean I do it every now and again because I am a kook but for the most part no...

Tahan- nose rocker is gonna help you on those drops and a little tail rocker will assist with turning and noseriding. As far as I know, concave is all about noseriding.....

Benny

Feb 17, 2004
Time for a formula for nose concave...

This is totally non-scientific. Based on observation and dialogue....

180 lb surfer = flat bottom board. Call Phil Edwards the benchmark.

For every 10 lb under 180 lb, add 1/4" of concave. Todor or Nuuhiwa at 140? Full inch of concave.

For every 10 lb over 180 lb, add 1/4" of belly. CJ Nelson at 200? Push it out half an inch. Skip Frye, push it out some more :)

There's a little science, I guess...lighter guys won't get a negative effect of pushing water from a concave like heavier ones will. Also, lighter guys will enjoy swinging the reduced weight in turning from the tail.

Heavier guys will push water paddling & surfing a deep concave and don't have as much trouble turning a heavy board or submerging a fuller rail.

And yeah, I'm 210 and like about 3/4" belly in the front half of a board.

Ask around - see what people prefer. There will be exceptions (which prove the rule) but by & large, you might end up seeing the same pattern I do...