Thoughts on E-bikes, Electric Bikes

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Nubancho, Apr 26, 2020.

1. SeabassMan

SeabassMan Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Bodega Bay
    I have friends with Retrotechs. Two of them on our property. Very well made by a true craftsman. They do look really cool and are just as hi-pro as any other handmade steel framed hard tail out there. I grew up in Sonoma County. Still live here. I remember Joe Breeze (maybe the first guy to hand make a purpose built "mountain bike") and some of the OG Marin guys coming over to our home when I was a kid in the early 80's to and meet and discuss how to promote access to trails for the emerging MTB enthusiasts. Breeze had a dog named "Rabie Baby" who fetched rocks. Those guys were characters just like those early surfers before things went pro and it was all about the lifestyle and there were a few who were skilled enough to make and sell stuff to the others ... a handful of the really dedicated and skilled guys got to eventually quit their day jobs! The MTB world in the early 80's was a lot like surfing in the pre-Gidget era. Then the blowup. Then E bikes (SUP's in the surf world). There are so many parallels. I am a big believer in riding whatever craft (board, bike, skate, boat....) you want as long as it gives you joy and does not mess up someone else's experience.

Dawnpatrol, Bonzourno and ParSurf like this.
  2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    yep...moved here last winter, now officially a spring through fall surfer on this coast....

ParSurf likes this.
  3. goingleft

goingleft New Member

Feb 17, 2019
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Love my e-bike. Ride it all over SoBay looking for emptier peaks when conditions allow. Easy to park and the power helps gets me back up the hill even with a log strapped to my surf bike rack.

Nubancho likes this.
  4. Nubancho

Nubancho Active Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Orange County
    What kind of racks are you using to carry your log around?

5. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    Funny how guys that ride their electric bikes into Trestles, would probably go crazy if someone was in the lineup with this-
    https://boostsurfing.com/

6. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    https://electrek.co/2020/03/06/onyx-rcr-first-ride-60-mph-electric-moped/

I dream of screaming around North County on one of these, board hooked to the side. 60mph! I read some reviews and the licencing is a biiiit tricky since you are supposed to keep it under 35mph( or something close to that) on the unlicensed stuff. I can only imagine getting pulled over for going 55 and explaining to the cop that it is technically a bicycle.

Nubancho likes this.
  7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
  8. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Neither a lover or hater of ebikes, but if they get the Whizzers off the road I'm good with that. Thinking about the guy that comes by at two in the morning WFO trying to make it up the hill, takes about 5 minutes from bottom to out of earshot.

9. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Anyone else getting pop up ads for ebikes here?

10. Bonzourno

Bonzourno Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Capitola
    Big brother is watching