Thoughts on E-bikes, Electric Bikes

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Nubancho, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    Nubancho likes this.
  2. cheyneskeezer

cheyneskeezer Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA

kanvas by katin just posted these fairly cheap for a beach bomber

JMJackFish, Nubancho and Croweater like this.
  3. Jook

Jook Active Member

May 6, 2005
    USA
    How do these bikes hold up if you get caught in the rain mid trip?

4. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Personally I like the quiet of an EBike. Had a rental that I used on a trail by a river. Came around a corner and there on a sand bank was an Otter Family just hanging out in the Sun. I know that if I were on a mini bike or other off-road motorized Vehicle I would have never seen them.

Nubancho likes this.
  5. ParSurf

ParSurf Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    8BBCC70A-5B74-4436-8396-8754DE140767.jpeg
    I get you. It’s the same reason I ride a mountain bike as opposed to a motorcycle...if I’m really trying to see stuff I walk! Mostly I was just razzing the group...this bike was significantly more expensive than most of the entry level e-bikes one would use to get to surf spots. Don’t even get me started on e-mtbs hahaha

OCSURFER32 and Artz like this.
  6. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    When I was living in Park City Utah I rode with. Group of guys one or two had very seriously expensive bikes Kevlar frame light as a feather and strong.
    I have been looking at Fat tire bikes to deal with sand on the beach. There are a couple of spots south of here that have entry points. But the better surf is maybe 1/2 down the beach. With no public entry. So thinking an EBike might be the way to go.

Surfnfish likes this.
  7. SeabassMan

SeabassMan Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Bodega Bay
    Thanks for clearing the waters. That looks like a nice place to get out and enjoy the outside! And I know a bunch of crusty MTB guys that would give you a razzing about having:
    • Rear suspension
    • Any suspension at all for that matter
    • Gears
    • Wheels over 26" in diameter
    • Frames made from anything other than STEELE!
    Ha ha! There are always the Miki Dora types out there who can find a way to look down on everyone as kooks. And most of them are hypocrites on some other level. I just like to live by the Golden Rule and the principle that freedom is cool as long as me exercising my freedom does not trample on the freedom of others. My father was on the ground floor of mountain biking here in NorCal. Collaborated with all the "famous" guys that built the first true mountain bikes from their first attempts of riding "clunkers" (1950's and earlier Schwinn's with modifications for bombing down trails). We hosted them at our house. I did not care much for Mtn biking at that young age. I wanted to surf and ride skateboards! It would have been like having Yater, Velzy and Frye over for BBQ's if disciplines were reversed! I just know that all the OG MTN bike pioneer guys were a bit nuts, free spirits, and only in it for the love, not the money. They would not have given a fiddler's fart what someone else thought as long as everyone was having fun and maybe passing the doobie around or sharing a Sierra Nevada after the ride!

8. ParSurf

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    Around mount tam? I started mountain biking in 86. Worked as a bike mechanic for years. I took a 10 year hiatus from the bikes. Went to Moab and demoed this bike. Road a thirty mile dh and was hooked all over again! Got home and bought one. Hahaha. Now that the bug has bit I’m looking at making a single speed retro tech. Look em up, they are full modernized throwbacks to what your dad and his buddies road

Surfnfish likes this.
  9. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    started on MTB in the 80's, first a 7 spd rigid from Fisher in Marin, when Ritchey was still hand welding the frames....a tank compared to what they evolved into. Living in the Half Moon Bay area, we had the coastal hills all the way to Santa Cruz to pound. Wife and kids rode as well, garage full of MTB's, lotta hours next to the Park stand, tools in hand. Daughter remains at 43 a devout MTB'r.
    Now days I spin on an ultra-light rigid...34 miles of asphalt trails running through our mountain community, double that of hard pack, had forgotten how fast rigid's are...been my morning paddle out since the virus hit, and feel blessed to be here...hell, blessed to be anywhere...
    IMG_20200408_095152266_HDR.jpg

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  10. ParSurf

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    That looks like sun river...