Thoughts on E-bikes, Electric Bikes

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Nubancho, Apr 26, 2020.

1. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Fat tires are awesome..
    My buddy and i rode from ponte vedra bch to atlantic beach...
    And back on low tide...so much fun.

But for here..i'm fixated..on my fixie(flip flop hub..)so im running a
    The freewheel..

2. Surfviking

Surfviking New Member

Feb 3, 2019
    Oceanside
    Iv only see them in San Clemente. Every grommom and gromdad has one. I heard there $2500?

3. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    If you require pedal assist, then get an e-bike and use it in concert with actual pedalling, not an open throttle electric lazy mans moped.
    A fat tire mountain bike- regular style sans motor- is Perfect for what you're looking to do.
    The cost and Weight of those e bikes- particularly the older ones is pretty big.
    You can find a Ton of fat tire bicycles in your size used or better from a good local bike shop.

One big problem with any motorized bicycle isn't the motor, but the components. A lot of these bikes didn't receive the very important durability component upgrade needed to withstand the torque - wheels and hubs- and wear and tear that these motors put on a regular bike.
    They also are expensive as Hell to replace and often require you being without a bike while its repaired.
    So be wary.
    That's why these bikes done properly are expensive and heavy...

With the self powered fat tire bike you are getting in some good exercise, to and fro, and carrying a board you don't want to be going 20mph do you?
    Also on down days you can take the rack off and go fly around some fun local trails, ride with your kids etc. The tires are fat, but the only difference is terrain coverage and good stability.
    They are actually really fast and pretty nimble.

Everyone talks about getting back to -"The way things Were" - well now here's your chance. Get a pedal bike, get outside, get fit, get strong, have Fun.
    Vitamin D, boost your immune system, drop weight, be Stoked.

Or strap your i phone to the handlebars of the e bike and get right in that herd.
    Your call.

Nubancho likes this.
  4. LogFather

LogFather Active Member

Jul 20, 2015
    USA
    I think they're ultra lame, but at the same time look to be a real hoot of a time and an awesome way to get around/avoid parking issues

5. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Some are under $1000.00 a mid range Bike with 750 W Electric motor will be around 1500 tp 2500. I have seen some that are well over $4000.

6. Surfviking

Surfviking New Member

Feb 3, 2019
    Oceanside
    Curious what the cost is it repair them???

7. SeabassMan

SeabassMan Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Bodega Bay
    I got a RAD Power commuter ebike a couple of years ago for commuting to work. It looks like something that a cop would ride. Super dorky looking but I am a dad and 50 so I don't need to worry about looking like a dork! It was $1500 new. They ship them directly to the customer and the bike is super heavy duty and designed to be an ebike from the ground up. They make fat bikes too and they are the same price.

My intention was not to be lazy but so that I could go 20 mph with the same effort as peddling a normal bike and going 10 mph. Just enough effort to get the blood flowing but not so much that I show up work all sweaty and gross (no shower at the office). It is nice to be able to be closer to the speed of car traffic for safety. I also figured the power assist would let me jam home faster in case I need to get in a car and take a kid somewhere. Basically to incentivise bicycle commuting. Take away the excuses.

It needs to have a minimum boost to make it feel like you peddling a normal bike. Without some boost the hub creates drag. Like you are riding with the brakes on slightly. All this being said, I am for things that get people out of cars and off the roads.

I did take it to Ventura a couple of years ago when I rented a beach house for a week and used my longboard rack that used to live on my beater beach cruiser. The ebike was a bit of overkill for the 1 mile trip to C-st but I could see how it would be nice if I was going farther up the coast. Save energy for more paddling! It was nice to have the boost to go up the hill into town and all around. I did not get my car for the whole week that we stayed there! I can see why Trestles people would see them as the beginning of the end. Allowing more easy access for groms = no pay to play. I is kind of a pain to put the heavy bastard on and off a vehicle, so I was always assuming that it was just San Clemente folks who were using them there.

Surfnfish, Nubancho and kpd73 like this.
  8. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
  9. ParSurf

ParSurf Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    miscreant likes this.
  10. Nubancho

Nubancho Active Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Orange County
    Mind blown. Considering a gas-power mini bike wasn't even on my radar until I saw your post AND the cost which is half of a entry level e-bike!

Just googled the regulations around driving a mini-bike in CA, and it looks like they're not considered street-legal so I figure if taking a main road, you'd ride in the bicycle lane. I'm assuming it should be good to go on trails, paved/unpaved. It also says on the dmv site that anything with something more than a 150cc engine, is considered a motorcycle and would require a M1 license to operate. In short, while these mini bikes look super fun to ride, not sure it'd be worth the trouble down here in California.

But if you're in Oregon, I'm sure you can have a blast on them ParSurf without anyone hassling you. Nice!