Thoughts on E-bikes, Electric Bikes

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Nubancho, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Nubancho

Nubancho Active Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Orange County
    With parking lots being closed these days, folks have to get creative with parking, often further away from the water.

Any Jammers make use of electric bikes to get to their spot?

I think I heard Joel Tudor refer to Lowers as "Electric Bike Point" which seems to imply that those who use e-bikes didn't earn their waves. I could be reading into that.

Whatever folks may think or argue, any of you utilize them to help get you to the water?

Which bike do you ride? Over what kind of terrain?

What sort of rack system do you use to carry your board? What kind of board are you lugging down? Longboard, mid, short?

Any recs on what to look for in a bike, whether purchasing new or used?

Thanks!

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    My buddy who recently passed didn't own a car, just a fat tired electric bike, his only go to around the small beach town he lived in, nothing in it more than a mile away, including his job at the surf shop...riding in the winter rain with poncho and flip flops, flipping us off with a big grin as we drove by honking...summer days flying down the beach on hardpack by waters edge to an uncrowded sandbar, his beloved red Phillips D fin tucked into the side rack...gave his ebike many a spin just for grins, hella fun, would buy one in an instant if in the right place for it.
    Suggest getting one with the bigger motor and battery, roll it onto your homeowners policy, apparently it's a douchebag thief target these days.

Nubancho likes this.
  3. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Walking the path to Trestles seems almost obsolete. Last time I was there electric bikes were everywhere, only saw two non-electric bikes.

4. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    I’m waiting on valet parking at Lowers. It’s ridiculous.

Nubancho likes this.
  5. Spritzer

Spritzer Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    Sort of answering your question.
    I used to use a single speed beach cruiser with chopper handlebars a lot here in VA, ~ 3-4 miles one way with a 9' on the side using carver racks. It was quite an easy ride, pretty much flat, and a nice way to get the blood moving.
    I also used the same setup in Monterey/Pacific Grove CA, it was about one mile one way but with a significant uphill battle on the way home.

I really liked being able to just hop on the bike and cruise down for a surf check a lot better than using the car. If i had the money, and had a commute to the water with significant change in elevation or a really long distance I would maybe consider electric..

Jaimo and Nubancho like this.
  6. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Been doing some research on fat Tire E Bike. Plenty of deserted Beach close by. In Florida If there is a beach parking it’s a surf spot. I usefully walk down the Beach away from the access point . An E Bike would give me more range. I have heard rumors of some semi secret spots around Ft Pierce. When the surf is down I have a metal detector. There is a reason why this part of Florida is called the Treasure coast.

Nubancho likes this.
  7. Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson Active Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Ventura, CA
    spill!! What have you found?

“Greatest beach finds” could make for an interesting thread.

8. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Turtle Trail. 200 yards north.

9. JMAC

JMAC Active Member

The fat tire e bikes go really well in the sand...ridden a few north of point conception to do some exploring on low tides.

every few years I still do a ride out to Jalama on my beach cruiser just to prove I can still do it.

10. Bighouse

Bighouse Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    There’s a fancy hotel far enough down the beach where we usually set up camp for the day. Dudes on fat tire electric bikes started cruising by on what seamed like a way to busy day to be doing so. I assume the hotel was renting them. My kids and I dug a massive trench to the ocean for their return trip. They weren’t in on the scheme. I chuckled when they had to get off and walk around.

If I had the cash I would have one. They look fun. I just wouldn’t cruise the beach on a crowded day.