Those parallel railed, wide tailed logs...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Planktom, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    You know the ones - Michael Takayama, Dane Perlee, maybe one or two others (Toots maybe?) are making?

Any JB'ers riding them? They seem to be working well under the feet of talented people, but curious to know how they go for mere mortals.

2. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    I dont know if mine applies to that category, but lately I ve been riding a Joel Tudor 10 ft
    I dont even know the model, o who shaped it

but it does have a big ass wide square tail, parallel rails, kinda flat, nose scoop, triple stringer, etc.
    all what I want in a board.
    and I beat the crap out of this log, and still performs on every single wave, from ankle biters, to overhead
    If the ones you mention are like this one, I wanna try them out too

3. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
  4. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Dane's seem more extreme in planshape than the Takayamas - hardly any curve at all from centre to tail. Tailblock must be at least 12" across.

5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Seems like the super wide tail would be very hard to turn with so little curve. I like the look of that Takayama though.

6. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    I'm going to go visit Michael's shop in a few weeks and hoping to find out more about his shapes. I'll post up when I get back. Would love to try one too.

hankster likes this.
  7. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    There's some good footage of Dane surfing his own board in half decent waves and he's turning sweetly, but I was surprised how well the Michael went under Kaniela Stewart's feet in tiny NY surf.

I would be interested to look at that bottom shape and rail rocker line. My money is on some similarity with a Hot Gen style board in terms of rocker etc... Interesting design.

JBorbone likes this.
  8. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    in fairness, Kani would have made a refrigerator box look fun in that contest. typical case of archer, not arrow.

Artz likes this.
  9. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    Well- that took me down a worthwhile rabbit hole...

Not the same Osprey/Perlee board shown above but it looks to be pretty squared off with wide tail:

ekim likes this.