This is the guy that advertises breaks in NJ

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
If you are neutral in situations of injustice you have chosen the side of the oppressor.

I never fully agreed with that argument. If a menacing guy with a gun steals an old lady's purse and second old lady witnesses it but doesn't step in to help, it's not like the second old lady had a hand in stealing that purse.

Usually if I'm neutral about something, it's either because (1) I understand that both sets of stakeholders have some degree of merit, or (2) I haven't done enough research to fully understand what is happening and don't want to jump on the bandwagon and rush judgment either way. There's a lot of injustice in the world -- you can't be an expert on it all.

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
Usually if I'm neutral about something, it's either because (1) I understand that both sets of stakeholders have some degree of merit, or (2) I haven't done enough research to fully understand what is happening and don't want to jump on the bandwagon and rush judgment either way. There's a lot of injustice in the world -- you can't be an expert on it all.
Although logical, your position here allows the time for thoughtful analysis. In most real life situations, there isn't that time.

Unleash My Log

Oct 20, 2021
Rhode Island
I never fully agreed with that argument. If a menacing guy with a gun steals an old lady's purse and second old lady witnesses it but doesn't step in to help, it's not like the second old lady had a hand in stealing that purse.

@Chilly Willy... Regarding @glidewaves statement, "If you are neutral in situations of injustice you have chosen the side of the oppressor," you are correct in one regard, but it's also fair to say his statement should be read assuming one has already performed a bit of the contemplation you advocate. I think the spirit of his argument is not best illustrated by a helpless elderly witness, but instead by the fact that apathy among the ABLE is what tyrants need to succeed.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
@Chilly Willy... Regarding @glidewaves statement, "If you are neutral in situations of injustice you have chosen the side of the oppressor," you are correct in one regard, but it's also fair to say his statement should be read assuming one has already performed a bit of the contemplation you advocate. I think the spirit of his argument is not best illustrated by a helpless elderly witness, but instead by the fact that apathy among the ABLE is what tyrants need to succeed.

That is a fair point. To me, it often seems like a shame tactic -- if you're not fighting the fight with us, you're just as bad as the bad guy. Not everybody is always able to roll up their sleeves and fight every endless fight that comes along. Thanks for the clarification.

glidewaves

Jul 9, 2007
USA New Jersey, Monmouth County
Just to clarify the only reason I added the quote (from Desmond Tutu) was in response to the quote in the previous reply…”You know, throughout history, I bet every old man probably said the same thing. And old men die and the world keeps spinning. “ Now I’m not sure how the rest of you interpreted that but I interpreted it as admonishment for those “old men” calling out the Youtubers and Surf Schoollers as being a bunch of old cranks. If I misinterpreted please enlighten me. With regards to injustice let me remind you (especially my NJ brothers and sisters) that in my home break of Deal, NJ wealthy residents there did everything they could to prevent surfers access to “their” beaches and succeeded until surfers united with the help of the Surfrider Foundation won a court battle granting us the access which remains to this day. Is that more extreme than a youtuber naming spots with the intention of getting more likes =ad$ or the surf coach taking over a prime break with a class full of $175 per lesson beginners at the expense of the regular surfer who just wants to surf? Maybe. Was using a quote relative to apartheid a bit over the top…yup. Either way I’ve seen the consequences of inaction.

Last edited: