This is the guy that advertises breaks in NJ

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
TD.jpg

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
I don't think we're focusing enough on the $$$ aspect of it. What gives someone the right to earn money off the unique resource of a reasonably good breaking wave at the expense of those who simply want to enjoy it without profit? Earlier this month I was trolling the Monmouth County, NJ coast looking for a decent wave on a relatively small day. One spot in a small town was breaking nicely while others nearby were breaking ok but clearly not as nice this one. Minutes later a Pro Surf Coaches van pulls up and eventually there's about 10 beginners crowded at the best break in town riding white water, falling, pearling...well surfing like beginners. Number 1: Why couldn't the Pro Surf Coach be considerate of the fact that they had beginners and take the class down the beach to the lesser break so they could work on the basics and leave the better spot to recreational surfers? Number 2: Pro Surf Coaches or any surf school charge for their services ($175 pp in their case) and what is the ethos or legal precedent for them to profit at the expense of others? I wouldn't have been too upset about this except for the fact that for the next few days it happened again and again. I'm not against surf schools or coaching, I just think that left unaddressed this could really become a problem down the road.

^ I think this is far more annoying than YouTubers. I've had this happen too and I perceived a sense of entitlement there from the instructors. It's a funny paradox because I do enjoy seeing people discovering this super cool new sport/activity/lifestyle and appreciate that I'm lucky enough to already be a part of it... but at the same time, decent waves are a commodity and it's not fun to have your ride cut short by floundering surf school students. (To be fair, kids/adults who paddle out to learn by themselves also tend to get in the way.) Maybe this is a good argument for wave pools. A safe, clean, and consistent environment to learn how to surf before you take it out into the wild. It's like learning to climb on a rock wall before you level up and start climbing in nature.

Honest question: Back in the day, did anyone ever rag on Bruce Brown for publicizing spots?

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
^ I think this is far more annoying than YouTubers. I've had this happen too and I perceived a sense of entitlement there from the instructors. It's a funny paradox because I do enjoy seeing people discovering this super cool new sport/activity/lifestyle and appreciate that I'm lucky enough to already be a part of it... but at the same time, decent waves are a commodity and it's not fun to have your ride cut short by floundering surf school students. (To be fair, kids/adults who paddle out to learn by themselves also tend to get in the way.) Maybe this is a good argument for wave pools. A safe, clean, and consistent environment to learn how to surf before you take it out into the wild. It's like learning to climb on a rock wall before you level up and start climbing in nature.

Honest question: Back in the day, did anyone ever rag on Bruce Brown for publicizing spots?
No one was surfing the spots highlighted in Brown's Endless Summer...there were no locals to call it out.

Flip756

Mar 4, 2016
USA North Carolina
Cut my teeth bush whacking to climb so I wasn't clogging the more popular routes, or weekday missions in bad weather. I was fortunate enough to have some buddies entrenched in the sport/scene which made my life a lot easier. Couple this with 4 nights a week in the gym and all of the sudden you know how to stay out of the way, not clog routes etc.