The truth about board socks

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by PeakMaster, Sep 12, 2019.

1. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    They suck.
    I thought I'd step up my game by at least attempting to protect by favorite boards. I thought board bags were a hassle... bulky, take up all kinds of space. So I bought two socks.
    Mistake x 2.
    When it's hot the wax melts and the sock wipes the wax off the deck....or it sticks to the wax and you have to peel the sock away from the deck when the board has cooled.
    It's almost a two person task. They don't make carrying your board any distance easier.
    They suck for longboards.

2. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Truly board socks don’t protect your board from anything other than dust and UV. I store some boards in them and occasionally transport them in a sock inside a bag to prevent chaffing from the wind at hi way speeds.

3. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Active Member

Jun 9, 2019
    So Cal
    Socks are a good way to get dings and shatters as you try to wrestle your board in and out. I hate them!

4. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I haven't even unfolded the newest one. I did pull it out of its plastic shipping bag.

5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Be careful too using them on boards with no wax. They can shift around when picking the board up. This can cause slippage in your hands = dings.

6. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    Not a fan of board socks at all. I use bags on all my boards: Ding insurance and helps help resale value up.

7. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    If anybody has socks they would like to get rid of let me know. I will gladly take those useless things off your hands:cool:

OCSURFER32 likes this.
  8. Gallery

Gallery Member

Jul 3, 2018
    New Jersey
    I use canvas board socks/sleeve/bag (whatever you want to call it) to protect my car from the wax. The wax doesn't stick to ro get absorbed by the canvas the way it does to the typical cotton terry type commercial board socks. My wife sews them up for me so it's only about $5 worth of fabric out of pocket. I'm really not sure how those cotton board socks still sell enough to be a viable product. They are horrible.

DJR likes this.
  9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Ain't that the truth. There was one time I was surfing and conditions went from longboard-worthy to fish-worthy. I lugged my longboard (in bag) back to the car, slid it into the car, pulled my fish out of the back... and while wrestling it out of the sock, slipped and doinked it into the sharp edge of the car door. Instant ding. I wrestled it back into the waxy sock, slid it back into the car, and brought the longboard back out. I essentially took a 10 minute break from a great surf session just to walk back to my car and ding my dry board.

In my experience, socks offer virtually no protection against dings. Day bags are the way I roll, and my ding count went significantly down when I started carrying my boards in bags. I usually keep the board bagged until I'm on the beach if I can -- not sure how kooky that is, but function over fashion if it saves me from dings and downtime. (Just have to make sure they don't blow into the ocean, which did happen once and totally SUCKED!)

10. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    So along those same line, I agree, socks are a pain but last year while down at San 'O, a young lady pulls up besides my rig and pulls out a brand new hot pink/red Skip Frye. About a 9' thruster. Beautiful board. She has a sock on it but get this, it's simply a bottom cover with the deck exposed. Kind of a sleeve? It wrapped up over the top rails with some sort of elastic material holding this protective bottom cover in place. I've never seen anything like it before but it looked like it was professionally made? But again my thought would be that to put that over the bottom half of the board would be a hassle along with the scratches you'd get try to fit the thing on your board?