The surveillance corporation is coming to a beach near you

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Bummer Dude, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Bummer Dude

Bummer Dude Member

Jul 8, 2019
    Ventura
    Wouldn't consider myself a curmudgeon, but nah man. If you have to pay the price for the camera being there, might as well benefit from it as well.

miscreant likes this.
  2. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Active Member

Jun 9, 2019
    So Cal
    With the new Sessions app Surfline has that will video your session if surfing in front of one of their cams, the ego driven crowd will be surfing within camera view and hopefully thin the crowd out if out of view.

houseofsuffering and pintail like this.
  3. Gallery

Gallery Member

Jul 3, 2018
    New Jersey
    Can't speak for your coast, but I've often found around here that the people with the biggest mouths in line-up spouting off about etiquette are some of the biggest offenders of etiquette and are only mouthing off to increase their own wave count at the expense of intimidating others.

I will say that I've had more experiences of old crusty local strangers at breaks in CA telling me it's my turn to go on a wave than I have here in my own home state. So maybe the 'enforcers' there are a different breed. I'm not convinced beat downs are the answer, but certainly some level of enforcement by those who are actually honest could be helpful. Sadly I've not found that rarely to be the case.

4. mont the drifter

mont the drifter New Member

Aug 11, 2016
    California
    This morning my wife & I were checking the surf at our local stretch of sandy beach break. It seemed mostly empty with just one or two surfers here and there, except for a spot in the distance with 15 surfers all bunched up. She pointed it out and asked why, and I told her that's where the Surfline camera is.

5. Big D

Big D Active Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Not sure I understand all the hub bub..Wasn't there was a Rincon cam up on Surfline prior to this one going up? Grew up in the area and use to listen to the call-in report back in the 80s-90s from the guy I believe who owned Morning Star Surfshops in the area. He would ride a bike up the trail and give a daily report in the morning. All you needed to do was call the phone number and listen. What is so offensive/unique about this camera?

Someone help me out.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Surfertom likes this.
  6. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Camera, no camera, no matter. How many times have you paddled to a spot that you know, been in the spot away from the crowd that you knew would be a nice peak on the right wave, catch it, then turn around and see 10 others sitting on your ass cause they saw you catch one? I've literally had to push off of some of these dildoes. No enforcer here, no heart for it. Just move on and pick my waves.

pintail likes this.
  7. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016

Chicken or egg type situation.

Im guessing she didn’t ask: “why, of all spots on this beach, is the Surfline camera there ?”

8. billypilgrim

billypilgrim Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Los Angeles
    That is the worst. I try not to get disgruntled, but seeing a couple of brahs, immediately turn and start paddling up the beach after you just kicked out of a sick one always gets me.

pintail likes this.
  9. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
  10. ParSurf

ParSurf Active Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    The only thing I hate about cams is when I’m sitting at work and the waves look great...I get off work beeline to the beach and it all goes to hell... I deal with crowds by building bigger and thicker boards with way to much glass.

The majority of people learning to surf up here are on foamies or beater boards. When you bounce off them they learn what ding repair cost or how to get out of the way.

Unfortunately with the ever growing population there is never going to be enough fun molecules on the planet to satisfy the masses, but I’ll be damned if I don’t work for my share.