The Perpetual Flothru

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by sonOsea, Feb 23, 2016.

1. dstud

dstud Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Very cool! I'd love to give it a try eventually.

2. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Whoever gets it in north county, let us know. Nice idea to spread stoke.

3. xyzzy

xyzzy Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Encinitas, CA
    Now here's what community is all about! Bravo sir!

4. DownSouthSlidah

DownSouthSlidah Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Arrived today 😊

Super stoked! Thank you for the opportunity to try this fin, SOS.

Supposed to be a swell Friday morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mcrockett77

Mcrockett77 Member

Jul 24, 2013
    My new favorite thread!

6. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
  7. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

Dawnpatrol wrote:
    Indeed. Really cool idea. Hope to take it for a spin this summer if it's made it's way out west.

8. DownSouthSlidah

DownSouthSlidah Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Ride report:

When: Friday, 2/26/16

The board: 10-1 Stamps Pig

Skill level: intermediate but maybe not so good on a pig

The wave: Jupiter Inlet. A-frame, rib high on the drop, thigh to waist on the face, not a lot of power... Requiring a lot of cutbacks to stay in the energy unless you got luck and caught a little down the line screamer and snagged the reform on the inside.

I had only ridden the Stamps a few times so it is not exactly a board I am used to. Moreover, I have been using a lexan hatchet fin in it. I have also never used a D fin in any board before. So writing a review of the Flo-Thru fin may be one of those things that make you go "Hmmmm" but I decided that I would ride the board first with the Flo-Thru and second with a regular D-fin. Since I have no experience with either, and the wave was very consistent, I figured I would be able to really feel the difference without any bias.

The preconception: That the Flo-Thru would be easier to turn, looser and that the regular D-fin would be like an anchor.

The (well, my) reality:

The Flo-Thru lends itself to drawn out turns, is very smooth feeling and holds well down the line, as well as holding well and allowing good speed in trim position. The board did not feel particularly stable up front (I did not nose ride - my skill at that is abysmal anyway). The turns were not sharp and felt a little mushy even given that the wave lacked power. I think a bigger face and a little more power and this fin would show its stuff.

The regular D-fin (8.5" by Rainbow) was a surprise. I really thought it would be difficult. It actually proved to be an excellent turning fin, feeling very positive and seeming to generate some power through turns. Comparatively, I did not notice any difference in trim speed but the board felt more solid closer to the front than on the Flo-Thru.

For us South Florida boys where the waves break fast and turns have to be quick, the regular D-fin would be my choice of the two.

Both fins did force me to stomp on the tail to turn. Absolutely going to be a good learning tool for me in more traditional board riding.

Next up for me to try in this board is a 10" Farberow Flex as the shaper advised. That should be intersting!

I want to thank SOS for the opportunity to use his fin. It was a lot of fun comparing the two and I'll be interested to read the ride reports of others here.

Next stop for the Flo-Thru is New Hampshire with CaptJohn.

9. sonOsea

sonOsea Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
  10. fishy82

fishy82 New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Thought I'd bump this up. any updates?