The Great Highway video

Discussion in 'Photograhy and Video' started by DanSan, Mar 1, 2020.

1. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Soquel,CA
    Just finished watching it for free on surfline..
    Brought back old memories..OBSF..pacifica..etc..
    Worth the look..for the history..

Artz likes this.
  2. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    It is a well done video.

3. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    It was great seeing this video of my homewaters of the 50's and 60's. I grew up three blocks from the OB on Ortega Street before we moved to Half Moon Bay. Brought back fond memories. Thank you.

Surfnfish likes this.
  4. Shaneoconnor

Shaneoconnor Member

May 7, 2019
    Los angeles
    it looks like this was only up for a little bit. anyone know where I can stream it now?

5. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Soquel,CA
    Yeah...they are only showing stuff like this for a limited time..

.ike the wedge video 2 weeks ago..

6. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    This stuff is epic in replicating what it was like growing up in the 50's and 60's as a young surfer from OB to HMB. Really only a dozen of us would understand, Lance you are excused LOL!. No wetsuits in water below 60 degrees. The Bean's, the Holmquist's, Keating and then Ambrose shows up at the Beach….WTF! Any surfer worth their salt must make a pilgrimage to Kauai to met Ambrose!!!! I just know that everyone of you understand that back then that there were fewer folks who loved surfing and that surf etiquette existed. For me at 70, it's tough try to make a go of it. Ya get at before O'Darkthirty to beat the young Turks. It's like hunting and fishing. Ya have done it all your life. You either catch a fish, a brace of mallards or you bag a handful of waves and leave the sand at 07:00 with the knowledge ya bagged the goods!

Here's hoping all of you bag the goods through life!

TB

DanSan, I wish I could sit down with you for over a beer and talk story about the once great surf of Santa Cruz.

Surfnfish likes this.
  7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    44th and Taraval for some of my youth..

the GH film stayed on form for the 50's, threw soft balls for the 60's omitting notables, among them Rodger Minneger, the best Kellys Cove longboarder in the 60's..Kevin Saltenrich, phenom that Brewer called in the late 60's the best young surfer he had ever seen..Gordon 'Flash' Guptil, the best 60's Pedro noserider....omitted with others because the 'real' story of OB and Pedro during the 60's will never be told, way too many repercussions...

Dawnpatrol likes this.