The Eddie is ON

Salty

May 1, 2010
USA California
The Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational at Waimea Bay | Watch Live
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 12.10.38 PM.png

weberrider

Mar 18, 2006
That coverage was horrible. Grainy video and the announcers had no idea who was who. I watched for 30 minutes and they were calling a wave for Kelly Slater when everybody watching on tv could see the guy was not Slater. After a few minutes, they finally realized it was not him. Found out later that Slater was not even in that heat. They also kept mentioning Jamie O'brien in a heat and found out later that he wasn't surfing either. Hard to believe with all of the technology available today that they could put out a product so unwatchable.

That said, those surfers are incredible. I hope they do these men and women justice the next time the run the event

shredsickgnar

Aug 7, 2021
Canada
For a free webcast I’m not going to complain too much. I thought the announcers did great with the situation they were given. We are used to the production of the well oiled machine of the WSL. But we need to remember this is more of a grassroots type of contest run by the family, I think. Mist in the morning was pretty tough and I thought it got better throughout the day when visibility was better.

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
That coverage was horrible. Grainy video and the announcers had no idea who was who. I watched for 30 minutes and they were calling a wave for Kelly Slater when everybody watching on tv could see the guy was not Slater. After a few minutes, they finally realized it was not him. Found out later that Slater was not even in that heat. They also kept mentioning Jamie O'brien in a heat and found out later that he wasn't surfing either. Hard to believe with all of the technology available today that they could put out a product so unwatchable.

That said, those surfers are incredible. I hope they do these men and women justice the next time the run the event
Much of it is because the family wants control. Some of what I’ve read suggests that there’s always a political battle over ‘control’ making it impossible for organized, planned, production that is well funded. Mother Nature plays a part in the mayhem too.