The Cuervo Surf Ranch Classic...Thoughts?

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
I am interested in feeling that wave on my equipment.

I am interested in seeing proper logging on that wave.

Somehow though, this WSL /Cuervo thingy effects that desire.

It’s like being at a club, seeing a beautiful girl that seems rad. Getting the nerve to talk to her. Really digging her. Go home with her. Having a good time, then you find out she is a he.

Something like that.
Hence the addition of Tequila into the mix, one presumes?

trucker

Apr 24, 2008
OB, San Diego
The WSL can’t seem to figure out what MMA realized ages ago: satisfy the hardcore first, then teach everyone else why it’s cool.

I’m personally not a fan of MMA, but I can recognize the strategy.

Devon seems on that track with the style of longboarding he‘s focused on. Maybe not so much w the format, media & broadcasting & all that.

Also, maybe watching surfing is just a lot more like baseball or soccer: the viewer needs to sit there for a long time waiting for something to happen. Try to edit it up and it somehow becomes less fun.

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Why does it need to be monetised in the first place? Why all the effort to make it 'popular'?

Maybe some stuff is just not for the masses and that's OK? I'm sure 99% of JBers couldn't give two hoots if the general populace was interested in surfing. I certainly don't.

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
Why does it need to be monetised in the first place? Why all the effort to make it 'popular'?

Maybe some stuff is just not for the masses and that's OK? I'm sure 99% of JBers couldn't give two hoots if the general populace was interested in surfing. I certainly don't.
Because money?

jdogger

Apr 4, 2006
USA California

Agree

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Just to play devil's advocate... monetization is not necessarily a bad thing for the industry. Looking at adjacent industries, bodyboard industry struggles with lack of sponsorship for events like this and would probably kill for a major company to back its contests like Bud Light did back in the early 90s. It's not that no one would ever ride a boogie board again, but I guess as a sustainable industry, they're struggling as compared to the heyday of the 80s/90s. Here's an interesting read about it: https://www.surfertoday.com/bodyboarding/the-end-is-nigh-for-professional-competitive-bodyboarding The overall tone of the article is that board manufacturers should back events with sponsorships.

They make an interesting comparison to windsurfing: "So, maybe it's time for them to step forward and assume their responsibilities. Need a good example? The Professional Windsurfers Association (PWA) World Tour is the longest-running professional water sports circuit. And do you know why professional windsurfing is still up and running despite being a relatively low-key sport? Because it is run by windsurfers, but backed by nearly all industry players."

Maybe there are better sponsors. Rip Curl? Billabong? Food for thought. What say you?