Tell me all about MAGIC MODELS

DKNJ

Mar 20, 2016
Ocean, NJ
From the pics the frye egg has a straighter rail line than the howard? The howard is fairly curvy and in my minds eye looks closer to the yellow magic posted earlier but like I said, the bottom contour feels quite cruisey with the vee. The tail is still fairly wide at nearly 16 on mine.

The magic template is generally more pulled in? Presumably generates speed better pumping? Are turns gonna be more drawn out? More set a line and go?

You are spot on. The Frye Egg has a lot of volume. Both in width & thickness over the Tak. You could always alter dimensions on a custom but then i guess it's more of a"1 off" than that actual template. The Magic has a tight turning radius but is not the pump & squirt type of board. I believe it's more about smooth flowing type of surfing. Connecting sections by generating speed & covering lots of ground. But I 100% believe everyone is going to surf a board a little differently, whatever makes sense & feels right for you.

Hulltastic

Aug 23, 2017
San Diego
DKNJ and Jory, thats just what i wanted to find out when I bought the magic, I wanted to tighten the radius on my bottom turns as much as possible, really a a good feeling driving around a pivot point on it. the rest of the ride I like something that easily shifts rail to rail under my feet, like a board with round bottom. Was hoping the upturned rails would give this kind of an element to the ride.

DKNJ, is it just me, or is that single concave with upturned rails present in the frye egg as well? I keep looking at the photo.

DKNJ

Mar 20, 2016
Ocean, NJ
DKNJ and Jory, thats just what i wanted to find out when I bought the magic, I wanted to tighten the radius on my bottom turns as much as possible, really a a good feeling driving around a pivot point on it. the rest of the ride I like something that easily shifts rail to rail under my feet, like a board with round bottom. Was hoping the upturned rails would give this kind of an element to the ride.

DKNJ, is it just me, or is that single concave with upturned rails present in the frye egg as well? I keep looking at the photo.

Absolutely, good catch. I should tell you now that anything I've picked up is only a result from listening to Bob Mitsven when we're discussing building a board & then seeing the board in person.
That being said, here's what little I can tell you. The rail profile & the bottom contours transition together ( entry, mi-board, & tail ). Also the same in the Eagle/Glider & Gypsy models as well. The nose of the board has a 50/50 rail & displacement entry. Mid-board has an uprail & single concave, great for laying it on rail, as was said above. Hard edge down rail in tail w a double concave into the fin cluster & then flat out the back to create better release, tighter turns & acceleration.
Each of the models: Eggs, Eagle, Magic , & Gypsy have these features. More pronounced in some. More subtle in others.
I would definitely suggest for a more in depth ( & accurate ) explanation speak to one of the quality shapers in San Diego. Most if not all are going to pay homage to Skip Frye as a major influence & discuss how they interpret the design. In the end, my rule is... "always trust your shaper"

Jul 20, 2014
Wow this is rad, seeing everyone's stoke on Magics and Vaqueros! Can't believe it's been like three years since I started this thread and got my 8'6" magic. I can happily report I still own the board and ride it all the time. It paddles so well, can get into big stuff early, and has the endurance to paddle from break to break over some longer distances at places like the cliffs and various reefs around LJ.

I can echo what a lot of others have said in that it's fast as all hell, and has a very "screwed-down" feeling when turning (I think smokes described it that way). It's so fast that it even gets a little chattery when the surf is bumpy or not crystal clean, feels very much like it's skimming or skipping across the wave face. Must be those concaves at work. There's very minimal tail rocker in mine, so I wouldn't describe turning to be effortless (also, it's an 8'6" so a bit straighter of an outline, I bet the shorter ones turn more fluidly). I have since added a 7'2" takayama HSM to the quiver and that board rolls from rail to rail much easier. But put some muscle into it, foot right over the fins, and the magic will crank a strong cutback, such a good feeling. Then you are back in the pocket, point down the line and hang on for the ride. I've been riding mine exclusively with a 7.5" L flex center with north shore frye side bites (small ones, like 3"). Interested in trying some non-flex fins in there over the next few months.

Hopefully this helps anyone else considering one. Happy to answer any other questions.

Btw DKNJ, your triple stringer Frye Magic is absolutely stunning, what a sweet looking board!

Jul 20, 2014
Ok, next up is my prized custom vaquero. I ordered it with extra belly/V all the way through the tail, and narrow. I've ridden several and have to say if you buy a vaq stock, it will not be as narrow as this, or with as much belly or V. Amazing job as has always been the case with Marc.

The Vaqueros have this way of always finding their way to the perfect part of the wave for you. I don't know what the special sauce is in them, but I realized a few years ago I was always ending my sessions with smiles when I rode them, in ANY condition. Since then I've been a convert and have developed my own theories about hulls.

This is a 7'2" custom as I wrote above. With some other details we talked about. General outline and bottom contour concept is the same on a stock Vaq, except they usually can go to flat in the tail. I specifically asked for V all the way through instead.

Super nice S-deck from the side view and I love the way he subtley spooned/thinned out the nose. Due to our wave anorexia in San Diego since May pretty much, I've only ridden this once, in waves that may be considered shoulder high. From that day I'll say it does whatever I want it to, EASILY. and has the same magic as other vaqs.

I can't wait to get it in waves with some juice.
Whoa, 2+1 vaquero? Don't see many of those! Can you shed any light on how it changes the board? Did marc change anything about the bottom contours on yours in order to accommodate the side fins?

DKNJ

Mar 20, 2016
Ocean, NJ
Wow this is rad, seeing everyone's stoke on Magics and Vaqueros! Can't believe it's been like three years since I started this thread and got my 8'6" magic. I can happily report I still own the board and ride it all the time. It paddles so well, can get into big stuff early, and has the endurance to paddle from break to break over some longer distances at places like the cliffs and various reefs around LJ.

I can echo what a lot of others have said in that it's fast as all hell, and has a very "screwed-down" feeling when turning (I think smokes described it that way). It's so fast that it even gets a little chattery when the surf is bumpy or not crystal clean, feels very much like it's skimming or skipping across the wave face. Must be those concaves at work. There's very minimal tail rocker in mine, so I wouldn't describe turning to be effortless (also, it's an 8'6" so a bit straighter of an outline, I bet the shorter ones turn more fluidly). I have since added a 7'2" takayama HSM to the quiver and that board rolls from rail to rail much easier. But put some muscle into it, foot right over the fins, and the magic will crank a strong cutback, such a good feeling. Then you are back in the pocket, point down the line and hang on for the ride. I've been riding mine exclusively with a 7.5" L flex center with north shore frye side bites (small ones, like 3"). Interested in trying some non-flex fins in there over the next few months.

Hopefully this helps anyone else considering one. Happy to answer any other questions.

Btw DKNJ, your triple stringer Frye Magic is absolutely stunning, what a sweet looking board!

Thank you. I’m just stoked to be riding a Frye. SKIP IS THE MAN

606venezia

Jul 28, 2021
East Coast
i have an 8' mitsven Magic mike, can be either quad or thruster. have only ridden it as a quad so far and i love it. plenty of float for my 210lb, fast and turns great. need to try it as a thruster soon just to see how it feels

i can't remember if it was Bob M. or Malcom C. that told me the desired curve or outline of a magic diminished above 8'6 or so.
Is there a board consensus on whether this 8'6" is a good upper-limit for magics? How big could they go well and still do what they are meant to do?

DKNJ

Mar 20, 2016
Ocean, NJ
Is there a board consensus on whether this 8'6" is a good upper-limit for magics? How big could they go well and still do what they are meant to do?
I have seen posts from well known San Diego shapers making them in that extra large size & without complaint.
But I would always defer to the shaper. Pick one & pick up the phone. Have a conversation with the person that knows their boards the best. Not a bunch of kooks like me on some forum.

glider_boy

Apr 14, 2011
SD
Several of the regulars at one of my main spots ride Mitsven Magics in the 10’-10’6” range and swear by them. It’s not exactly a screaming wave tho, pretty soft N County reef.