Talking story w/shadydave

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by walkingtheplank, Oct 6, 2019.

1. walkingtheplank

walkingtheplank Active Member

Aug 2, 2004
    wherever i am
    so today i was up in Boston Metrowest area for a craigslist transaction, & decided to stop by Dave's place in Ayer for a chat. after my business in Westford was completed, drove 15 minutes over to his place & was greeted by him, his wife plus their chill dog in front of 3 open garage bays w/many foam fiberglass treasures inside.

we rapped for a good hour or so on various subjects including boards, good (& bad) vintage restorations & whatnot. 'twas a singularly pleasant highlight breaking up an otherwise mundane multi-hour trip off Cape to buy tools of the trade.

i even had my Mac in the car, so was able to show him the full surfboard ownership portfolio gallery. dude has some nice stuff - heavy on the G&S strain f/'67-8 including several Skips, even more Midget Farrellys & those HotCurls. of course, must also mention the myriad Finelines along w/other random gems including a beautiful blood red Lance/Gene collab v-bottom & that gorgeous blue sled f/Matt G.

totally stoked to meet Dave & shoot the breeze for a bit - cool person w/many legit sticks. thanks for taking the time, sir!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  2. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
  3. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Always a pleasure putting faces with names. Nice of you to reach out to let me know you would be in the area, thank you for stopping by and sharing. :)

DJR and walkingtheplank like this.
  4. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Best part of Jams. Have had similar experiences (spent an hour or so in a Delaware rest stop with Roach after picking up a board from him, talking story on a rainy winter day, more recently had a nice lunch with JMJackfish after picking up his Phil). Initially joined just to be able to see pics of boards, didn't expect the wonderful friendships that have come from this.

DJR and walkingtheplank like this.
  5. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    A lot of others, too, Slosurf, Tony, John, Matty G...

Mizrachi likes this.
  6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    So true. Wife and I just got back from 10 days in San Diego. Similar experience spending time with Jamboarders. Thanks for sharing.

7. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Active Member

Jun 9, 2019
    So Cal
    The man, the myth, the legend, lol. Definitely would like to meet him and share story, seems like an awesome human with a great taste in surf craft.

northbeachboy likes this.