Tales of Local Legends

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Yes that Raisin, Ray Defrehn. lots of very talented Surfers on Long Beach Island. Raisin was one of the best. He had style and class in the Water.
I’m in touch with him on Facebook. I’ll see if he wants to join us over here on Jam Boards.

Last edited:

shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
USA California
That's him.
In ‘68-69 I’d winter in Isla Vista, my wife and I along with Raisin, Margo Godfrey and Angie Reno all went to Santa Cruz for the Smirnoff Pro Am.
Those were a couple of really good surf years, Devereaux for breakfast and Rincon for lunch with less than a dozen out.
Those were the days my friend, we thought they’d never end

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
Interesting that of all the possible candidates, the ones most discussed in this thread were from NJ. Who'd a knew?
Growing up in Oxnard, CA in the late 1960's and 1970's we had a guy from I think New York by the name of Eric Penny. He was a hard charger and everyone there really liked and respected him. He moved along in the early seventies and the last I heard about him was that he passed away somewhere. So yes, there were and are many candidates from the East Coast that deserves mention.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
O
In ‘68-69 I’d winter in Isla Vista, my wife and I along with Raisin, Margo Godfrey and Angie Reno all went to Santa Cruz for the Smirnoff Pro Am.
Those were a couple of really good surf years, Devereaux for breakfast and Rincon for lunch with less than a dozen out.
Those were the days my friend, we thought they’d never end
Oh yeah! There were some massive swells during that period. A lot of big storms and flooding in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.

Members online