Tailgate Surfboard rack recommendations??

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
I have a factory roof rack/rail system on top of my 2013 Tacoma double cab. I bought pads that velcro around the rails & just strap the board on the roof. A bit of a pain as I have to step up on the door thresholds to strap a board down. Squid has the Thule track rack on the same truck and sure looks a lot easier to use. For shorter boards sometimes I just push some pipe insulation/piece of pool noodle over the top of the tailgate and strap a board down in the bed.

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
Pipe insulation and strap em down. I would love to know if anybody with tailgate pads that strap around the bottom of the tailgate have ever looked at the bottom of the gate to see if the straps have worn thru the paint.

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
I have a really short bed (‘05 ranger) and I lay my 10’6 in there diagonally and we make it to the beach okay.

Andreinis and other 8ish guys lay in straight just fine.

shady scared me off of the tailgate pads

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
Pipe insulation and strap em down. I would love to know if anybody with tailgate pads that strap around the bottom of the tailgate have ever looked at the bottom of the gate to see if the straps have worn thru the paint.
I had a Creatures of Leisure tailgate pad o a Ford Ranger that I drove for years and never had an issue with it. Pulled it off before I sold the truck and a little wax on the tailgate made it look new.

Makawaosurfer93

Feb 15, 2007
USA New Jersey
84600772.jpg

I have 2 of these for my 8' bed light duty Dodge Dakota. Unfortunately they don't make these anymore.

Macilious

Jun 15, 2010
I have a '15 Frontier and had an '06 Tacoma and before that had an '02 Ram 1500...

Frontier has roof racks, a Tonneau cover, bed extender (with insulation on bottom to protect boards) and rubber mat to protect the nose. This works pretty well. Short trips I can just put the board in (tailgate up) and used the cover to hold it down. Longer trips bed extender and straps - tonneau cover down and fins up. Roof racks for long trips where tonneau has to stay closed.

Tacoma roof rack, Bak Rack cover (over priced and better off getting a Cap), bed extender, a piece of old carpeting to protect the nose.

Ram had a cap with old carpeting in the bed, so I could change in there. This was my favorite set up.

I have also used cargo bars across the bed with pads. That work ok, but I don't trust it 100%.

The thing with short beds is that you don't want too much of an angle or the wind on the tail pops the nose up... so the bed extender helps a lot and makes it easy to strap down.

I also have a realtor lock for keys that I attach to bed extender or a tie down in the bed.

Members online