Surfy Retirement Job suggestions?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Hosteldweller, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    Thank you Dave.

2. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    I know lots of retired government guys here who work part-time for airlines. Flight benefits are the real reason, as they do it they work their was up in seniority. I have friends who do it as a part-time gig on the side. After doing it long enough they get to change their schedule around and can reduce hours and still keep flight benefits.

3. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley Active Member

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    I work for the Fire Department and a lot of guys were doing minimal 8hour shifts a month slinging bags for the benefits and standby privileges. Delta got stricter and started requiring more hours - which became too much. But the retired guys are doing part time hours and traveling the world. I'd much rather push a drink cart than sling bags, but I'm open to either.

hankster likes this.
  4. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Hers the deal...the car is mt cp
    SG...i go over all of those things. Many kids starting out driving are better than adults who've been driving for decades.

5. dewey

dewey Member

Feb 16, 2004
    St George, Ut
    I had to retire in 2006 due to kidney failure but was lucky and got a kidney transplant in 2008 and continued to surf.
    Lost my best friend and surf bud 3 years ago he had a heart attack and died surfing Bolsa 16.5.
    So I decided to hang it up moved from California to Southern Utah best move ever.I have been playing senior softball
    for about 9 years now and here I can play year around 100+ games a year plus tournaments.
    I also spend a lot of time at the shooting range target shooting mostly rimfire cheaper to shoot.
    It's been a few years since I have posted here hope all are well....DEWEY.

6. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    Good to hear you're doing well...even if you're not surfing anymore...you're always a surfer at heart...I think if I am ever lucky enough to retire, I'd like to do some teaching or mentoring with kids...everything right is very self/family centered, and I'd like to give something back to the community in some way in the future

7. Ocean

Ocean New Member

Jan 11, 2020
    RI <> Dogtown
    Ride share is probably the biggest culprit behind this mentality. The days of needing a license to get your first real ounces of personal freedom are pretty much over.

PeakMaster likes this.
  8. Griffy

Griffy Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I retired 4 years ago from a 33 year career as a public servant. I do volunteer work for a non-profit that raises and trains Great Danes
    to become service dogs assisting people with mobility issues, including disabled veterans. It's very rewarding on many levels, it keeps me
    active, I get to be around some amazing animals and people and allows me to surf whenever there are waves. It would be nice if it paid, but so far
    I'm doing OK on my pension.

9. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    Awesome stuff..

10. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    What did you want to do when you were 6? Paleontologist? Artist? Astronaut? Beach bum? Poet? Now go do it

davey and shadydave like this.