Surfy Retirement Job suggestions?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Hosteldweller, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Hosteldweller

Hosteldweller New Member

Nov 27, 2012
    All,
    I'm retiring in 3 years and want to work part time, seasonal/flexible (for winter escapes) and doing something I'm passionate about. My research revealed that it's either in a surf shop or giving lessons which are both fine. Of course, with the parameters above, I won't be making much but the lessons will pay more. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

2. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Rockaway, NY
    Options are as plentiful as your imagination. I'm just at the start of my career, and I've always considered my ability to surf when choosing jobs. For a while I was working near the beach at a nonprofit community outreach center doing programming and providing free legal help to the community. The gig was great surfed alot, love helping others, but was not making anything start a family with or build a future. Fom there I found a more lucrative field...except my boss surfs...I'm not as close to the beach anymore, but at least my boss knows the deal and allows me to come in late when the surf is pumping

3. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Rockaway, NY
    Look into becoming a real estate title closer. Qualification is minimal. They work on their own schedule, and accept jobs from title companies as contractors, at their own will. A closing can take anywhere from 1 hour to 5 hours. Your fee is anywhere between $200-400 per closing. Great side hustle can easily do it part time or full time.

DJR, dingdong and Andrew Johnson like this.
  4. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    I retired from the fire department (early due to back injury and subsequent surgeries) and went to work in a surf shop part time. Well, that part time lead to more time, and then it was full time. Then lo and behold, I ended up managing for a few years. It was a lot of fun, but ended up becoming a monster in time. Now I’m retired again, and back to just being a husband, father and grandfather and full time surf bum.
    I say go for it!!

DJR, Patrick Riley, hankster and 4 others like this.
  5. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    I had a job I was passionate about for close to 40 years. I retired 10 years ago and haven't looked back nor did I let the door hit me in the arse when I left the field office on my last day. I entertained taking on a part-time job after retirement by going through recertifying my life saving card and working as a life guard at the local Y. Ten years now and I just recertified but am reluctant to give up my surf bum/fishaholic life style. I suggest once you retire, you give yourself some time for yourself before diving into a part-time job, be it passion or otherwise. However, others here may feel that going part-time after a full time job is a good idea to slowly step into retirement.

aussie-surfer and dingdong like this.
  6. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I retired 2 years ago.
    I like having some purposeful work...albeit part-time. I work for the county as a behind the wheel driving instructor. I make my own hours and I like seeing the kids progress from start to finish. I clearly remember my high school drivers ed teacher. One thing I find interesting is: I remember chomping at the bit to go get my license the minute I turned 17. I'd say 50% of the kids I teach could give a shit if/when they get their DL.

7. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Please teach proper following distance, meaning of a double yellow line, what a turn signal is when/why to use it, maintaining a constant speed, meaning of the word yield, how to merge, what used to be called ‘defensive driving’, and of course NO TEXTING. Thanks. I can also offer my accurate driver ‘profiling’ of many other driver categories that are in need of a refresher course.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Dawnpatrol likes this.
  8. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC

9. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    I'm in the same boat. I just retired and I'm only 39. I'm bored to death at home, but not willing to go to a work until I die and hate it type of job. I don't surf anymore since I retired to Georgia and if I lived in California still, I would absolutely be working in a surf shop just for the fun of it and so I could surf when I want because I doubt the pay is fantastic. Since you're retired, be picky and find that job that speaks to you. I made a promise to my kids that I would be home and here for them now (20 years in the Marine Corps and I wasn't always here for them and that eats at me). Find a way to get your foot into something that interests you and allows you the time to do the things that you enjoy. I am into the 4 wheel and adventure scene now and that is where I'm truly trying to find where I can get in to make money to do what I enjoy. Good luck and congratulations on your retirement.

10. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Wade,
    Thank you for your service! Also know that what you are currently doing for your family is priceless, embrace it and enjoy every moment.

walkingtheplank likes this.