Surftechs that you really like

tarheel

Mar 31, 2005
Everybody in here needs to read your post alloo because I can tell you are a person

who truly enjoys surfing, experiences true stoke, and can answer my question

without getting hung up in a bunch of crap. Thanks for the reply its refreshing to

hear from someone who is positive, uplifting, and shows people who surf how

they should be. Enjoy you trip in Hawaii & Have Fun!

Tarheel

Mucker

Feb 21, 2004
USA Pennsylvania
i currently have a boardworks walden and a bing silverspoon and love both boards and have a great time on both. but i have been considering a new board for a while now and was looking at a tak surftech(either Noah Ka Oi or Stephen Slater model) as my first choice. I rode NJL's surftech slater last winter and loved the way it rode.

The reason i'm looking at the surftech as my first choice is that the board will be a travel board and i want the durability that the surftechs offer. I also surf off the tail more than I noseride and i like the lightweight. I have beaten the crap out of my boardworks in the last 3 yrs and the worst that has happened to it is chipped paint. There are a couple of pressure dings on it but it is water tight and those dings did more damage to me than i did to the board.

I have also considered getting a handshaped epoxy from Nolte or Fly to get exactly what i want from the board(the Noah Ka Oi model seems a little thin to me at 2 3/8" thick)but worry about the durability issues with this option. I want the same toughness and ding resistance that surftechs offer. I pretty much know that I don't want a poly board because of the way that I surf. I take a lot of risks and try to surf more progressively. I split the nose of my Silverspoon open, its 3rd time out because of how I ride.

What would be my best option? One of the 2 surftechs or the handshaped epoxy. I would like to know the pros and cons of each choice.

NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
Mucker wrote:
What would be my best option? One of the 2 surftechs or the handshaped epoxy. I would like to know the pros and cons of each choice.
I would say track down paul baymore and have him make you one. He is a hard guy to get a hole of sometimes, and make sure you aren't in a hurry to get your board. He shapes great and the boards are extremely durable. I haven't dinged mine yet. He was able to make use the Steven Slater template and refine it a bit. Everything came out perfect, but the rocker is slghtly flat. Makes the board fast, but more difficult in late drops. The handhaped epoxy is also less stiff than the surftechs but much stiffer than poly.

I think Brian Wynn is also shaping some epoxy now, but I am not positive of that.

Singlefinglide

Feb 22, 2004
USA New Jersey
Mucker

I would like to add to NJL's suggestion(s) and suggest that you consider Tim Nolte as well. They have been doing handshaped epoxy for some time now.

Mantooth

They may be cheaper to produce, but they aren't charging much less for them at the end point (retail). I know the tired argument that they last longer, but the bottom line is, if they are cheaper to make, then I should be able to purchase them for less.

SFG

Mantooth

Dec 6, 2005
Singlefinglide wrote:
Mantooth

They may be cheaper to produce, but they aren't charging much less for them at the end point (retail). I know the tired argument that they last longer, but the bottom line is, if they are cheaper to make, then I should be able to purchase them for less.

SFG
i totally agree with you there.. my real point was the environmentally conscious one. its like 70% less volatile organics or something like that. i mean the guy was talking about "mother ocean" and the soul of it all, and things getting less human. well, shouldnt we be taking care of the environment that gives us so much pleasure, even if it means taking a sacrifice to our boards?

and i dont even own an epoxy, but i hate that someone cant see the argument.

Singlefinglide

Feb 22, 2004
USA New Jersey
Mantooth

Agreed. I would like to eventually get a wood surfboard (maybe even the oiled ones with no fiberglass at all) shaped by tom wegener. Maybe in a few years when my little one is out of daycare (costing me $8000 a yr., but still better than last yr. when I had two in daycare - $16,000 a yr:shock:). He is making an egg shaped board that has no fiberglass at all that looks really interesting. Just stroke it with some oil every few months and you are in business.

SFG