Surfing on Acid

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
But the most damaging was my daily cannabis habit in my late teens and early twenties. Here in the Netherlands weed has been freely available for as long as I can remember. I truly believe recreational use is harmless (apart from the smoke) but habitual use is a mind killer.
My experience with cannabis was pretty short lived. I smoked it quite a bit from age 16 to about 19. What I remember was at first the weed was pretty tame by today's standards and you would get a comfortable buzz, listen to some music, laugh a lot and the get the munchies. However, I met this soldier who was on leave from Vietnam and turned us on to some Vietnamese weed that was absolutely stupefying. In addition it made you hallucinate. The one thing that I started to remember, that before smoking weed, I had a almost photographic memory. After about 9 months of smoking pot, I couldn't remember hardly anything. I then went on this cold turkey rampage when I quit doing any drugs, cigarettes, or alcohol for about 5 years. My health and memory all came back to better than before. However, I knew that I couldn't continue with cannabis. I haven't smoked any for about close to 50 years now. Other people don't seem to have a problem with recreational part time use, but I think we can all really do without all of it.

WillieP

Oct 22, 2016
South Carolina
Ha, what a fun thread!!! As usual, some really diverse commentary expressed in a non threatening environment. Being born in 1953, I have some experience on the topic, most of it actually gained on the surfboard I am riding in my profile picture circa 1972. It was a Surfboards Hawaii single fin. One of my favorite all time boards. Like other experiences I had during that time, some were good and some not so good, and luckily I grew out of it with no permanent damage . I will say, I tried surfing after drinking 6-7 beers and a few joints in 6-8 foot waves in Hatteras once and it did not go well from a performance perspective although there were a lot of laughs. Never did that it again.

Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
This is easily the most interesting thread ever on here.
I've got a big smile on my face. I could write a little booklet on the top 5 acid sessions I had. Not for everyone, but for myself and my fellow travelers, when things got a little hairy in the hustle/bus of city streets, cars, noise, people, etc. .... just paddle out.

Adamclimbs

May 26, 2017
Santa Cruz
The one time I surfed on Psychedelics was one of the best experiences of my life. Caught a wave at Alejandros that is still one of the most memorable I've ridden. Was definitely the biggest wave I'd ridden at that point in my life and I felt so connected to that wave in a space of calmness. The colors, forms, wind, light... everything was perfect. I don't know what I looked like out there and could care less. It was all about how my mind interpreted those moments and relied on intuition over thought. I was out in the water for hours and came in to learn that it was 15 mins, according to my friend. Still don't know if he was just messing with me and I don't want to know. Once was enough for surfing in that way. I save my psychedelics for rock climbing now.

Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
The one time I surfed on Psychedelics was one of the best experiences of my life. Caught a wave at Alejandros that is still one of the most memorable I've ridden. Was definitely the biggest wave I'd ridden at that point in my life and I felt so connected to that wave in a space of calmness. The colors, forms, wind, light... everything was perfect. I don't know what I looked like out there and could care less. It was all about how my mind interpreted those moments and relied on intuition over thought. I was out in the water for hours and came in to learn that it was 15 mins, according to my friend. Still don't know if he was just messing with me and I don't want to know. Once was enough for surfing in that way. I save my psychedelics for rock climbing now.
Good description. Except for the "once was enough" part. Ha.

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Just in case anyone is interested

There is a link to a 2006 study within that is interesting and echoes the findings that many have reflected on in this thread - that even a single experience can provide a positive, lasting effect for many people. This is certainly what seems to be the case for many people I know personally, myself included, and is somewhat at odds with the sensationalist paradigm that is/has been rolled out through the general media.

Last edited:

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
What a world back then.
As previously mentioned, we only took LSD to go to concerts, one tab & maintainable. Mid teen adventures, that we
easily survived, w/o life being disrupted. Pot kinda made me feel like I had blinders on..... too damn much introspection.

I do recall tripping on acid & experiencing the most glorious, bursting w/expectation & life giving sunrise I'd
ever seen, however, it rose in the north (west) & I lived in Santa Barbara...... a confirmed 100% hallucination.
.......but glorious! lol.

Later in my thirties I had all but run the gamut (no needles ever) no horse or anything like that..... a brief affair with
opium from a hot hair stylist I knew. Then she was gone and so were the fantastic dreams... among other things.

Ah, the good ol' days.