Surfing on Acid

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
I guess we were pretty lucky........ always able to "maintain" within reasonable limits. I got some pretty wild hallucinations when we went to the 1969 Palm Springs Pop Festival. We were sitting on one of the close to stage humps in the drive in theater where they held it.

29,000 kids show up in Pam Springs for two days.

The Founding Fathers were freaking out!

Fifty of us jumped the back wall at sunset and made a run for it once around 300 people had been admitted..... all but one of us got busted, he got his face ground into gravel. :-(

Security by Hell's Angels but no repeat of Altamont, thank God.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
There were so many underground chemists back then making sketchy/impure shit. Plus it was a race to beat out the government in making new/analogs of drugs before they they could outlaw them (the analog law hadn't been established yet): LSD and ALD-52 (made illegal awhile after LSD) are functionally equivalent.
That was the whole problem with that era. You never knew what you were really getting. In the early 1970's, I was spending a lot of time with a friend who lived in Laguna Beach. There was a whole counterculture movement there wrapped around this group of people called "The Brotherhood". They were responsible for all the "Orange Sunshine" LSD that was floating around at that time. A lot of people were taking it. I felt like the Laguna/Dana Point area was LSD city for a while there. It was kind of bizarre!

I have no problems with you account on the history of the drug though.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
I only surfed on acid once, that was the day after a Santana & Taj Mahal concert at the little Lotus building at the Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara.
Yeah baby! Robertson Gym and Earl Warren Showgrounds! They were the best! Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Jefferson Airplane, Doors, Big Brother and the Holding Company, You name it, they were there! An incredible youth culture scene going on back then.

InI

May 29, 2021
Costa Mesa
That was the whole problem with that era. You never knew what you were really getting. In the early 1970's, I was spending a lot of time with a friend who lived in Laguna Beach. There was a whole counterculture movement there wrapped around this group of people called "The Brotherhood". They were responsible for all the "Orange Sunshine" LSD that was floating around at that time. A lot of people were taking it. I felt like the Laguna/Dana Point area was LSD city for a while there. It was kind of bizarre!

I have no problems with you account on the history of the drug though.
You are lucky to have gotten some Orange Sunshine and lived in that time/place. Look up Nick Sand and Tim Scully, they were the 2 big chemists producing all the Orange Sunshine for The Brotherhood. One of the ways they tried to get out of being charged when caught was claiming it was ALD-52 not LSD (it most definitely was LSD and some of the best there has been, or just dozed huge: 300ug if I remember correctly - average street dose today is 50-100ug). You are right, this was all taking place in Laguna Canyon, a lot of the LSD that was going to SF after Bear (Grateful Dead) stopped making it was coming from Laguna and The Brotherhood. So yeah, it was LSD meca and probably more so than SF.

This was all long before my time, just going off extensive research as this is a topic of interest.

Last edited:

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
You are lucky to have gotten some Orange Sunshine and lived in that time/place. Look up Nick Sand and Tim Scully, they were the 2 big chemists producing all the Orange Sunshine for The Brotherhood. One of the ways they tried to get out of being charged when caught was claiming it was ALD-52 not LSD (it most definitely was LSD and some of the best there has been, or just dozed huge: 300ug if I remember correctly). You are right, this was all taking place in Laguna Canyon, a lot of the LSD that was going to SF after Bear stopped making it was coming from Laguna and The Brotherhood. So yeah, it was LSD meca and probably more so than SF.

This was all long before my time, just going off extensive research as this is a topic of interest.
Much of this is now years in the rear view mirror for me. I will not go into the pros or cons of the ingestion of LSD. I started to get concerned when I started to see strange behaviors from friends who I know took a lot of it. In some of my training prior to retirement, we started to look at the rampant increases of bi-polar disorders. Although some has been attributed to psychedelics, a lot of it can also be attributed to the rampant uses of crack cocaine. Those drugs can affect the dopamine and serotonin levels in the brain. Since everyone bi chemistry is a little different, it has to be a concern that these drugs are "just not for you". Therefore, I always go by the "tread carefully" recommendation when it applies to this subject. My only contribution I can make is my experience with it many years ago and I am thankful that I survived it. I don't think I would do it again with the information and track records that are out there now. We didn't have much of it back then.

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
All the old heads pitching in is cool indeed

To me the 60/70s seems like this magical era for both psychedelics and surfing, but my parent who lived through it as long-haird hippies turned into regular old boomers regardless...

I have tripped on acid and mushrooms hundreds of times. Used more MDMA than I can remember. But the most damaging was my daily cannabis habit in my late teens and early twenties. Here in the Netherlands weed has been freely available for as long as I can remember. I truly believe recreational use is harmless (apart from the smoke) but habitual use is a mind killer.

Its still one of my weaknesses so I have to thread carefully and stay away most of the time.

Luckily I dont really enjoy surfing stoned. Surfing Maroccon points all day and hitting some hash hookah as the sun sets it pretty awesome though

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Yes, I would agree on the heavy habit of anything, but so easy to slip into with weed. Some people seem absolutely fine with it though, guess it's a personal thing.

I grew up in the midst of the UK's 90s rave/ free party scene and it pulled me away from surfing somewhat, but not for too long. I would just say some things are a better companion to surfing than others and leave it at that. These days, however, I do not even have caffeinated tea most of the time.

As an aside, if anyone has not seen the 'Fantastic Fungi' documentary yet, it's really worth a watch. There's also a growing evidence base to show the efficacy of Psilocybin for people with chronic depression and/or PTSD.

SDBoardHoarder

Sep 28, 2018
San Diego
True Psychedelics are perfectly healthy, they have been used for thousands of years: from the Greeks and their ergot (LSD precursor) wines, to the Aztecs and mushrooms, DMT containing Akasha plants all across the globe (Amazon and Ayahuasca, the is Aboriginal reports aswell, etc), the Native Americans and Peyote. Early Christianity likely had heavy influence from mushrooms (this is cited information, not just some dude on the internet). After all, the Greeks dont actually have a direct translation for 'alcohol', it comes out to 'wine', and most 'brews' or 'wines' back then were much more than alcohol. Dioscorides (Ancient Greek physician/pharmacologist) had 50+ recipes for mine altering 'wines'/'brews'. There is a common conception that the Greeks drank alot of alcohol, they were probably doing a bit more than that quite frequently. The eleusinian mysteries was more likely than not a psychedelic ritual center in Greece, all the prominent people went there, including Socrates, Plato, and Cicero (pretty sure some of the Stoics did aswell). It was a pilgrimage, they prepared for years for this. The most prominent thinkers in history more likely than not used them at least once. In sum, proper tried and true psychedelics are perfectly same and beneficial... its quite liberating to die sometimes... the ego can be quite constricting, its like taking off your shoes at the end of the day... also just to have fun in the ocean aswell (back on topic of this thread, kinda went on a tangent there).

Love This. Happened upon this article today: