SURFING IS NOT A CRIME

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Fishy, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    This morning I drove down to the beach alone intending to walk alone to the water and surf at least 20 feet from anybody else. I was greeted by yellow crime scene tape and motorcycle cops blocking me from accessing the beach at La Jolla Shores. So I went north a little and got in there, had a nice session on the log. Still, the idea that the only thing keeping me healthy and sane, and which definitely does not cause any risk to anybody, is banned because of heavy handed bureaucrats really pisses me off.

The lifeguards made an announcement that the beach up there was closed, but did not try to get anyone out of the water. Probably just easing us into our new squalid existence.

After I got out I asked one of the policemen if they were really planning on continued enforcement. He said yes, but only city of San Diego beaches. 'You can surf in Encinitas', he said.

Well that just makes all the sense in the world. Let's take all the surfers over a 10 mile stretch of San Diego beaches and cram them all together at Swamis. What could possibly go wrong.
    I also kayak fish out of LJ. Now that's banned too. Unbelievable.

2. Killafornia

Killafornia Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Tell them you're going board fishing.

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION - CONS

ARTICLE I DECLARATION OF RIGHTS [SECTION 1 - SEC. 32]
    ( Article 1 adopted 1879. )

Section 25.
    The people shall have the right to fish upon and from the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water containing fish that have been planted therein by the State; provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season when and the conditions under which the different species of fish may be taken.

(Sec. 25 added Nov. 8, 1910, by A.C.A. 14. Res.Ch. 44,

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  3. crowded

crowded New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    I've got news for you...Encinitas beaches are closed too. They're patrolling the water on jet ski, kicking people out. Fines are starting soon. I'm up already because I heard some rustling out front of my apartment door. Go out, and there's some dude sleeping on the landing of my stairs. Tell him to bail, and he thinks my front door is the exit. Nearly kicks my door in. Called 911, cops think they found him. This is all so effed up. Right by moonlight beach here. Stay safe everyone

txgrinder likes this.
  4. crowded

crowded New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Just realized that in his departure, he stole my six year old birkenstocks, a pair of New Balances, and a bag of charcoal. Thanks ahole.

5. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Then again, a rational person would have realized long ago that, , , , , "surfers" are a lower class of citizen who provide no value to society and, as such, we should try to be as "invisible" as possible, , , ,!!!

6. bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04 Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    Brah just stay home. The sooner we can all stay home and get thru this the better and we can all go back to our lives of surfing and enjoying waves.

ekim, zEd, kroo and 5 others like this.
  7. dr flavors

dr flavors Member

Jul 21, 2019
    ca
    1st step toward martial law is getting everyone in in their homes... so yeah, maybe you get your life back. will have to check in with the petty tyrants at a later date.

despite the sketchy constitutionality and the creepy sci-fi shelter shaming, limiting contact is good thing. unfortunately at this point it won't work.

but then again, fortunately(?!?) its spring in norcal so no ones surfing for 6 months anyway...

8. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Glad we got the final word on the subject from someone who appears to be smarter than the rest of us.

kroo and bluemarlin04 like this.
  9. fluidworks

fluidworks Member

Dec 1, 2019
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    As a nurse and surfer, I feel like banging my head against the wall sometimes; reading this thread has me feeling that way again. Rather than repeat myself, I'm going to copy a succinct response I read earlier on reasons to NOT TO GO SURFING IF THE BEACH IS CLOSED.

"Maybe you should look at how the coronavirus has unfolded in other places that are further down the timeline than California. Maybe then you would also agree that our restrictions probably aren't strict enough to combat covid 19 from absolutely running train on us, especially when people have adopted this type of attitude seen by you and in the video.

For a lot of viewers, this video has the chance at may normalizing the situation, and these viewers might think that the cops' reactions is the 'overblown media coverage.' This has the potential to encourage more people to go out, which is exactly opposite of what we need right now. Even though you may be 20 feet away in the water you also need to think about what goes into a session (eventually having to fill up on gas, the risk of injury, or hanging out in a gross parking lot with beach showers and nasty bathrooms that everybody touches). It puts you and everybody else in the community at risk.

Moreover, you'd think that risking an injury over chasing a wave would be a key deterrent in these times, due to our under-equipped healthcare workers. This is selfish. You, sir, are a kook."

10. Sbbcc

Sbbcc Member

Dec 6, 2017
    SB

You must have first hand experience if your a nurse, please enlighten us all with your experiences....