Surfer Magazine pushing a narrative

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Like nearly everything else in this world, how we experience surfing as a hobby, profession, sport or lifestyle, things have changed.

Drew Kampion, who makes the introduction in this video, was the most prolific writer of stories & articles ever found in any surfing publication. I haven't seen him since we both worked a brief time for O'neill in Santa Cruz circa 1980-81.

John was a visionary and gifted artist. He shared his STOKE generously, and made for the flavor of those times I will never forget.
https://www.surfer.com/features/rip-john-severson-1933-2017/

Last edited:

jdogger

Apr 4, 2006
USA California
20201004_121215.jpg

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Ah, Candy Calhoun of Mother Marge and sister Robin.

This also appeared in Surfer way back when. An ad of me sitting with my quiver of Owls
Owl AD Surfer Magazine 1970's.jpg
@ Santa Catalina, Panama circa early 70's before I handed off the reins to Marc. JC's ad below it with T Shirts for $6/50... woot! Those were the days!

Matty

Oct 5, 2011
Surfer magazine has turned into national inquirer over the years. I guess to receive advertisers funding, one has to take a knee, parroting the flavor of the day doctrine. I don't bother opening the cover whenever I'm at the bookstore, going straight for Surfers' Journal. I hope this one stays around though.