Surfer Magazine pushing a narrative

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
The "sport" is dead, culturally. To be honest I was surprised Surfer Magazine still existed. 70's and early 80's I loved it, along with ASW, I'd stare for hours. Then came athleticism and the bro-culture and the money. Oh well, whaddayagonnadoo.
I'd say that pretty much sums it up accurately. The shots from the 70s issues were classic by any generation's measure.

Reactions: DJR

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
I grew up in a rural PA town. Saw my first issue when I was 12 and some stoke began, first with a home made skateboard. Of course when I subscribed every page would be burned-in my brain. There is still some life in this sport on the East Coast. Could be less jaded because of our wave starved nature.

Patrick Riley

May 15, 2018
Jacksonville Beach
I grew up in a rural PA town. Saw my first issue when I was 12 and some stoke began, first with a home made skateboard. Of course when I subscribed every page would be burned-in my brain. There is still some life in this sport on the East Coast. Could be less jaded because of our wave starved nature.

My first exposure to surfing was from a Surfer mag in the magazine aisle of a grocery store in Houston Texas. I wandered off and my mom found me seated "indian style" glued to the pages at around age 7. I remember it vividly and I remember knowing that I would one day be a surfer. It eventually happened.

surf4food

Feb 10, 2017
San Diego
The "sport" is dead, culturally. To be honest I was surprised Surfer Magazine still existed. 70's and early 80's I loved it, along with ASW, I'd stare for hours. Then came athleticism and the bro-culture and the money. Oh well, whaddayagonnadoo.

By the time I reached 30 (1991) I was already feeling a bit aged by Surfer's targeted demographic. It never represented the average surfer if he was over the age of 15. Luckily around that time, Surfer's Journal came out and from that point on I rarely picked up an issue of Surfer Mag. Surfing Magazine was even worse. As longboarding truly exploded by the mid 90s I started reading the the mags dedicated to that. I still think Surfer had some good soulful articles but as you yourself described it got pretty "dude bro". Still it's sad to see it go if that really becomes the case. As far as the sport being culturally dead, I've been hearing that my entire life.

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
I'd say that pretty much sums it up accurately. The shots from the 70s issues were classic by any generation's measure.
They really were. Its what made me want to travel and live on boats and such. My son, who is 21 grew up 3 blocks from the beach, stripping wax off boards at surfy surfy, going to all the parties... Even went with me to the last ASR show. He watched fuel TV and that cartoon about surf groms and with all that, told me he'd rather just bodysurf. The idiot culture attached to it was too much. Clearly he takes after his mother. Thank god.