Surfboard glassing schedule preferences

espi

May 11, 2018
Dana Point, Ca
Wondering if folks here have a preference between light versus heavy glassing and why.

I have a board on order and the shaper (Wayne Rich) recommended/suggested considering S-glass. I’ve leaned towards heavier glass, but maybe not as heavy as Davenport where I feel like I need a crane to get into the water.

I’d love to hear others thoughts.

fluidworks

Dec 1, 2019
San Luis Obispo, CA
Good topic

In my mind quality correlates with weight. Doesn’t matter if it’s a gun, a piece of furniture, or a surfboard. Logically I know that isn’t always the case, but something with heft feels more permanent to me, and that is something highly desired in a handmade product. The fact that surfboard can literally last a lifetime goes with that. That said, no one is keeping and surfing a potato chip 90’s comp glassed shortboard for a lifetime.

My “short boards“ as in anything not requiring a lot of foot movement and focused on performance will usually be in 6+6/6 all S.

Longer mid lengths or shorter longboards like my vaquero= 7.5 volan + 6s/ 7.5 volan. Enough weight to build momentum and push off, but light enough to throw around a bit.

regular longboards 8+8/8 all volan. This is my sweet spot.

Specialized boards like my Davenport noserider go to the far extreme, 10+10/ 10 with rail caps.

This is all my preferences, also predicated by the fact I’m a bigger guy and have the power to move around more weight under my feet.

Last edited:

LeroyZ

Aug 10, 2019
Southern CA
I've been riding hull variations for a few years now and all have volan layups.
They're much heavier than standard E glass and S glass but the extra inertia that this layup offers works well.
I'm thinking I'd like to try something lighter, what weight S glass is Wayne proposing?

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
I prefer lighter for performance, wave catching (accelerate faster while paddling), and wear and tear on my body, but prefer heavier for durability and glide. So, I always try and find a midpoint somewhere to satisfy both, or use an alternate form of construction which seems to accomplish both but takes the custom market out of play.
I'm a big fan of the Thunderbolt construction and the like, and hope the domestic custom market comes up with a construction that competes with it.

glider_boy

Apr 14, 2011
SD
6 + 6 top / 6 bottom for mid-lengths and any board used in head high + waves.

8 + 8 / 8 volan for logs / small wave boards.

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
S cloth stronger then E glass...will dent where E glass shatters...easily worth the extra cost...glass schedule depends on the board...HPLB a dog if glassed too heavily..nose rider unstable if glassed too lightly...been on only S cloth for a long time without any of them problems I used to have with E glass...4,4/4 on my mid lengths and HPLB's, 6,4/6 on my cjuisers...personally dislike heavy boards, though some love them

S-Fiberglass cloth, or simply S-Glass, looks and feels exactly the same as E-fiberglass cloth. However, it is made from a higher-strength glass fabric, which gives it approximately 40% higher tensile strength, and a 20% higher modulus. This fiberglass has a greater strength and abrasion resistance when used as a composite reinforcement. Additionally all of our fiberglass cloth has an aerospace grade silane finish that is compatible with polyester resin, vinylester, and epoxy resins. This finish allows the Fiberglass to have a longer shelf life and also provides a resistance to moisture. So if you are comparison shopping between E-glass and S-Glass materials, this is the superior composite material as far as tensile strength and modulus, but that strength does come with a slightly higher price.

Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
France
Pretty much like above. S is well worth it for keepers! I really like epoxy with both pu and eps, and tend to go 6+4/6 or with some of the mid 5oz hybrids on daily drivers. I also lean towards gloss coats, whether polished or wet sanded.

Maybe if I had long enough point-and-shoot style points I'd consider heavier boards, but for where and how I surf they don't really do it for me.

lashSD

Apr 24, 2021
San Diego
6/4-6 for shorts to mids (most of my equipment) and 6/6-6 for the long stuff. i like a 6/4 deck because it feels sturdy while shaving off a little weight. this s-glass convo has got me reconsidering future glass schedules though.