Surf Trip to Jersey

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by NewportGeek, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If it were a time that I could do it, I would travel up from VaB to have dinner with one of my childhood heroes!!!! That picture of him at Pipe still hangs in my house. I have a M/P Peck Penetrator that I would bring up for him to ride. :)

Roadmaster likes this.
  2. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    Hit up Phil at Glide surf shop in asburry park - has shapers pass through and sometimes puts them up.

3. NewportGeek

NewportGeek Member

May 17, 2007
    USA California
    LackOSense - thanks for the reply. Your establishment sounds right up his ally. Are you available to talk by phone? Want to DM me your number?

Lackosense likes this.
  4. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York

Yas ! Chakra Showers for everyone !

5. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Get in touch with my friend Ken at Southside Surf and Paddle in Beach Haven. His shop is a little center of stoke. he has Ukulele Nights along with other events. Kens good people. If you are interested I send his number in a PM give him a call about a heads up. Might just have to fly up. Whenever John Peak was Surfing Swamies It was always a special session.

6. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Also highly recommending the Beach House in Bay Head -- not sure if there is a shaping bay but they have hosted a ton of events and bunch of well known shapers in the past (Bing, Hap, etc). It's one of the real community centers for surfers, with a focus on longboards and various hand shaped surfcraft (as opposed to Firewire, etc). Even if you don't have an event there, you should absolutely drop in at some point during your trip just to check out the classic boards hanging throughout the shop and talk story a bit. Eric is also an active member here: @njrider

7. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Beach House board swap is Sunday October 13th. Would be a great time to be in the area.

Manasquan Classic surf contest is a good time too. Sept 14th.

8. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    866C6486-D769-4CEF-AC77-83D51114E321.jpeg 866C6486-D769-4CEF-AC77-83D51114E321.jpeg C85FA42E-210E-4D91-A30C-EA41DE4BC091.jpeg 866C6486-D769-4CEF-AC77-83D51114E321.jpeg
    Beach replenishment has hurt much of the northern coast line, as it has in every town that did this.
    But the jetty breaks were always a good shot at finding a nice peak.
    In the south are piers that held consistent sand bars, especially Atlantic City area.
    Strong hurricane SE get up into Sandy Hook, but finding any where near to park during summer months is doubtful.
    Summer beach restrictions are ridiculous and expensive, under cover beach police looking for beach badges.
    Screwed the photos up

SeniorGrom and Roadmaster like this.
  9. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Easy enough to edit out the multiple pics Jim. Just sign in, go to your post, click edit, put the cursor at the end of the two duplicate pics in the body where things are typed and backspace to erase. Click save changes and you’re good.

10. Gansett

Gansett New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Rhode Island
    When I was a kid every summer I went to Manasquan, my grandparents had a beach house there. The waves were always pretty good there at low tide, nice long rides. At the time I only boogie boarded, wish I surfed back than. Several years back my uncle told me they filled in the beach with massive amounts of sand to combat erosion and since then the waves are not as good. Not sure if they have come back to what they once were. But it is a nice little beach town.

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.