Surf Trip to Jersey

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by NewportGeek, Jun 13, 2019.

1. NewportGeek

NewportGeek Member

May 17, 2007
    USA California
    I'm originally from California, moved to Nebraska five years ago for work, and now to Pittsburgh roughly two weeks ago. Have all my boards and gear, and thinking of making a trip to NJ for a few days of surf.

That said, I need some help on where to go and the best places to surf. No issue with crowds... Used to surf lower trestles, Malibu, Wedge, Newport Point, etc. Uncrowded would be nice but really looking for where quality waves are. I have boards for anything from a clean point to reef to beach break. Just need to know what to bring. :)

Anyone interested in teaching me the ropes for east coast surf? If so PM me, and I'll respond with my phone number and we can chat.

Thanks,
    Jesse

shadydave likes this.
  2. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Hey Jesse

Well your getting closer to the coast! I used to travel to work out in Pittsburgh from time to time years ago... it’s a haul, about 8hrs, but not bad.

That being said, the closest beaches are most likely in the Belmar area. Taking the PA turnpike into NJ to the NJ turnpike north for about 15 min to 195w. You could also cut through Philly and hit the southern NJ beach’s around Atlantic City. Longer yet would be going thru Philly to get to rt 70 in nj to 72 to LBI.

Anyway, jersey beaches are all basically the same, sadly. Quality here depends on storms and sand bars which change all the time. We don’t really have reefs or anything cool- it’s all just sandy beach break and can be dumpy. It really depends on swell direction and wind direction. Northern beaches have jetties which help keep the sand in one spot. So it’s more trying to follow the sand bars and keep track of the swell forecast. Swellinfo.com is the premier swell prediction website. You’ll have to time the trips with storms/swell. It’s pretty flat in the summer. Fall is hurricane season. Winter is nor’easters and spring brings the sweet south swells (ending in another few weeks before flatness) the swells generally last a day or two with small left overs the next day.

3. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    There are plenty of guys, myself included, that can give you the scoop on NJ surf. It's all beach breaks around here with maybe two spots that could qualify as point breaks. Definitely bring boards that you like to ride in beach breaks.

What time of year are you thinking of coming? The summer is generally pretty small with some decent pop-up swells that'll happen overnight and last at least through the morning or all day if you're lucky. Fall is the best time of the year for surfing here, specifically September and October. Uncrowded beaches (not necessarily lineups), warm water, and potential for excellent groundswells dished up by hurricanes. Hotels are also probably pretty cheap at that time since it's the shoulder season. Suitwise, July-October is warm enough for trunks up to a 3/2. Winter is almost always offshore, so surf can range from epic barrels to really peaceful sessions with no one in sight, but that's a whole different ballgame in terms of wetsuits and cold tolerance. Your flat spell antidotes for any season are day trips to NYC, Philly, or Atlantic City.

4. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    NJ resident here, taking notes

Lackosense and Tully like this.
  5. NewportGeek

NewportGeek Member

May 17, 2007
    USA California
    Thanks guys. Keep the info coming!

When I posted I was hoping to come out in the summer because I'll be in California and Nicaragua, for several weddings and a surf batchelor trip, from July 20 to September 16. Outside these dates any time would work. Especially if there was a day or two of lead time on a hurricane swell in late September or October.

Beach breaks sounds good; I grew up in Newport Beach dealing with sandbars in jetty and no jetty setups, and my wife prefers sandbars for me since they tend to be safer. :)

6. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Atlantic City has a couple of nice set up due to all piers that tend to hold the sand . Of course it can shift around. Beach.LBI and Beach Haven have a few good waves. LBI is were I spent or mis spent my teenage years. Ocean City has some waves. If a Hurricane is working it’s way North and staying out to Sea. If you had the time and a good Van You could Surf your way up the Coast from Cape Hatteras to New England. It up Long Island to Montauk.

7. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    The fall is the best. Water still warm and we get decent chance at waves.

Make sure there are waves when you make the trip. When it is flat here there is nothing to ride. I’ve surfed “flat” California waves and they are still fun. Not the same here.

When you know when you are coming let me know. Maybe time it with the fall beach house swap or manasquan classic contest to make sure there is something going on when out here.

8. HerbB

HerbB Active Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Definitely shoot for the fall as all say. My favorites surf towns are;

Long Beach Island
    Ocean City
    Brigantine
    Atlantic City
    Manasquan

Also let us know what you like to do in your down time; are you coming solo, or with any family. Do you like to chill after a surf, or want some night life. Each town definitely has its own personality in that regards and all can help zero that in.

Artz likes this.
  9. NewportGeek

NewportGeek Member

May 17, 2007
    USA California
    Thinking - if I brought John Peck with me, would there be anywhere good for us to hold a social gathering?

At dinner last night we were playing with the idea of him coming out, surfing, maybe doing a reading from the autobiography he's been working on for the last 10 years, and/or a small group admissions to share a meal and talk story...

I don't know the area or if there would be interest from the surf community. We would likely charge (not gouge) for meal time and reading session, to cover travel expenses.

If he did come, he could also potentially shape some board orders, if there is a local shop that has a shaping room available.

Looking for feedback / thoughts / input.

Attached Files:

Basenji703 likes this.
  10. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    I'm not from Jersey, But from South Ozone Park NY. 10 minutes from JFK airport. 25 minutes from Rockaway and Long Beach. 1 1/2 -2 hour drive to northern New Jersey depending on the traffic. I manage a yoga center/ Ashram Durga Temple. We have plenty of room, a suitable kitchen for communal vegetarian cooking and hosting a crowd, regularly scheduled yoga classes, etc. I can also provide a quiet room for John at the center. Just an Idea!

sightpoint and michael like this.