Surf trip advice (California)

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by arn2629, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Mango Bills itenerary is a great one. Leo Carrillo campground is amazing. You could end up doing a lot of driving for not much surf as that area is not very consistent in March/April. If you start out in SD I can lend you a cooler, stove, camping chairs.... Stuff that would be hard to carry on a plane.
    You could also easily spend the whole time between San Clemente and point loma and surf a different classic break every day. I'd suggest that you stay flexible and then go where the waves are. Even if you rent a van down here you could still bolt up to Malibu your first night and then work your way back. And if you want to drive a little more there's always Rincon which may be more in season.

2. finnappy

finnappy Member

Aug 18, 2011
    USA New Jersey
    If you do decide to bring you're own board out there let me know. I have a 10'6 Dakine travel bag down here in NJ that I would be more than happy to try and get to you by the time you leave. Just figured I'd throw it out there

3. FlanAl

FlanAl Member

Jun 16, 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eEj8H1Cg28leo carillo, people have been burning each other there for at least 50 years!I would have recommended malibu for those random swells that sometimes sneak through in march but you could get super skunked. If you're thinking about driving around AND you're on spring break, why not do SD with a little baja mixed in?

4. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    Dawnpatrol...all the good Viet food is in Westminster, like ten minute detour off the 405 near Huntington Beach, you can get good sandwhiches at Lily's Bakery, good ice coffee at Gala Bakery (and their little chicken pate chauds are awesome as well), and tons of good restaurants if Arn or anyone is looking for a particular something, just hit me up, some Pho or spicy beef stew, even dim sum after a surf is great, can't get much better, except for maybe a good fish taco

5. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I'm an old cranky guy that values quality more than quantity so I will say; you can drive, or you can surf and enjoy the place you are at.
    Unless you are terminally ill you will make another trip or two, so limit road time and choose a smaller territory. You can do it all if you want in one trip, I wouldn't.
    Baja? You may have a problem with a rental car, make sure you can go where you want without violating rental agreement.

6. MDM

MDM Active Member

Dec 12, 2011
    USA New Hampshire
    Golden rule . Never leave good waves

7. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Is the surf trip happening?

8. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    Fishy wrote:
    Yeah arn, are you here. Wave 2 of my clients incentive trip ends on Sunday and then I am free. Staying in San Clemente 3/30-4/2. Wade was kind enough to reach out and has given me some tips as well as offered to surf. Getting excited for warmer waters.

9. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    looks like there's a nice little swell from 3/30 to 4/2, it would be fun to meetup around the San clemente area for a surf, I think Dawnpatrol might still be down here as well

10. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    dingdong wrote:
    I am at the Hyatt on PCH, and there have been waves since I arrived on 3/16. At minimum waist high when I have had the opportunity to see the beach. Some days bigger. Even if it is waist high and clean I will be stoked! Offshores today keeping it clean all day probably.