Surf Mats... What's the Deal?

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
Hola @davey and @PeakMaster

those two waves were from December I think. Shot by Ryan from Log Rap. First one got a lot of views on Ryan’s log rap IG feed, think well over million views. I always felt the second wave was a better wave though. Regardless, his sharing the footage was generous and it is fun to see such a simple, yet tough, approach to wave riding get respect.
Almost broke the sound barrier on that wave.

skazat

Apr 1, 2021
Los Angeles
Thought this was worth the share and figured this would be a good spot to do it. I was scrubbing through some surfline rewind from this morning and saw what I thought at first was a UFO or dolphin taking advantage of a semi empty line up. Closer inspection showed it was someone on a mat going Mach 5.
In all seriousness Ive always heard that mats are fast but Ive never seen one accelerate like that before, it looked like he had a motor on it.

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
Thought this was worth the share and figured this would be a good spot to do it. I was scrubbing through some surfline rewind from this morning and saw what I thought at first was a UFO or dolphin taking advantage of a semi empty line up. Closer inspection showed it was someone on a mat going Mach 5.
In all seriousness Ive always heard that mats are fast but Ive never seen one accelerate like that before, it looked like he had a motor on it.

Wow. Accomplished and courageous.

There's this, a fundraiser for the builder who's having a very tough time with medical bills:

Custom Surfmat Mel Thoman Auction https://ebay.us/pVTnMo

Last edited:

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005

according to my source this is a hydrofoil bodyboard, not a mat. Hoping to get a picture to share.

Budthedog

Dec 22, 2020
California
according to my source this is a hydrofoil bodyboard, not a mat. Hoping to get a picture to share.
It doesn’t look like it moves through the water like a hydrofoil, the way it side slips, turn radius, and I never see him “hovering.” Plus for some reason, I think a hydrofoil would get murdered at Malibu. Let us know what you find out, I’m def curious

Sbbcc

Dec 6, 2017
SB

Doesn't look like a mat to me either

skazat

Apr 1, 2021
Los Angeles
went back to look at more footage of him and its hard to tell but it does look like he has these brief moments of hovering. Makes sense as to how hes going so fast around those sections.