Surf Funk...please help

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by dtorrent, Jul 29, 2019.

1. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Happy Birthday D! Treat yourself to whatever it is you fancy.

Driftwood and JBorbone like this.
  2. John

John Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Rehoboth Beach, DE
    Truth

DJR likes this.
  3. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    I almost exclusively ride mini-gliders, and now I find myself building more and more of them for customers. They're the physical representation of "no stress" surfing.. paddle easy, trim quickly, turn smooth, and no pressure to noseride. win win win win.

hankster and glider_boy like this.
  4. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Come up and grab some of mine and give em a go. I owe you for the WR.

DJR likes this.
  5. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I like the Sam and glider suggestions. Noseriding is cool and fun once in a while, but I feel like it can also be kind of overrated at times.

This may or may not suit you, but I substantially increased my surf stoke by embracing my boogie roots and adding a bodyboard to my "never leave home without it" quiver. We have so many crummy afternoons where it's either blowing sideshore from the south or junking it up from the northeast. To me, these waves are never worth standup surfing, but they can be surprisingly really fun on a boog. The bigger and sloppier the better (within reason)! Those days used to bum me out so much, but now I am totally stoked for those days because I can still have fun. Balance issues are mostly irrelevant. Less restrictions with where you can/can't ride it. You get to work out a whole different set of muscles with swim fins. You'll have a different physical perspective and also will have to think about waves differently and take off more in the pocket. Maybe you'll get tubed more. Just don't be too cool to call it a boogie board, that's how Tom Morey intended it.

Artz and Andrew Johnson like this.
  6. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    Sometimes the best changed is a small change.
    Keep your noserider, only go to the nose after about 2/3rds of the ride is over...so if you crash and burn you at least had a good ride.
    I see people at all ages say they want to learn to noserider, but give up on it for many reasons.
    BTW my wife is 52..been surfing about 30 yrs and stll trying to get better at noseriding.
    She rides a single stringer 9'2" RC quinten model.

davey likes this.
  7. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    D, hard as it might be to believe 47 is young. Reeally young.

The first thing that came to mind upon reading your description of your skills is that you're selling yourself short. I was talking once with Jook about noseriding and he mentioned, unprompted, you. As in "she can really noseride. She can surf." Not sure how well you know Jook, but he's as stand-up as they come, 100% honest, tells it like it is. And his words rang because he's a helluva noserider.

My thinking, at 61, is you're way too young to be closing the door on anything, especially anything regarding surfing, especially noseriding. Once you close a door you become invested in that act, which makes it more difficult to reopen a door that perhaps didn't need to be closed. Case in point: my neck and shoulder issues got so bad I closed the door on prone paddling last year, bought a stand-up paddleboard, resigned myself to this new thing. For awhile didn't even check this forum, which for years was the first thing I did in the morning. The stoke started to fade. I hated even looking at the grotesque (to me) SUP on the rack in the basement. But then it kind of dawned on me that maybe there's still a little left in the tank, if you tilt it upside down and swirl it around a bit. Stepped up the rehab, worked on the posture, etc. Sold the SUP (never was so happy to take a huge loss) and bought JMJackfish's Phil, as pure a transaction as you'll find, buying a great board from a great guy. The icing on the cake is this might be the best longboard I've ever ridden, stoked out of my mind, can't wait to get out there again.

My long-winded advice. Keep the RC JQ. Buy a different kind of board if you want to. Ride that until you get the urge to noseride. Noseride. Surf.

8. Mango Bill

Mango Bill Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2006
    USA California
    85A42F81-C4D3-4E83-BB0A-50277F2E1CC3.jpeg 7862CF6C-568C-4527-914C-5D819F5191E4.jpeg Keep the nose rider add a mini glider........mine is 8’7” Michael Miller

Thunder Chicken, Artz, bonzer and 6 others like this.
  9. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Have not heard from you in awhile DT. Good to see you back. Have been where you are now. My suggestion is...get a 9'2 or 9'6 ...preferably from a local shaper...worst case, East Coast shaper and go wider and thicker and don't look back. Ride the same board all the time for months to until you feel stronger about the whole deal. Dabble back into the shorter quiver when you feel like it after that.

10. dtorrent

dtorrent Active Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Thanks for all the advice. Not selling anything...yet. Haven't found anything to buy yet either. But anyone that has anything suitable for sale please keep me in mind.

Here's hoping the surf is big enough for me to ride the Clandestino for a while.