Surf ear plugs - what do you use

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by OX 45, May 15, 2019.

1. OX 45

OX 45 Member

Jan 3, 2014
    curious what everyone prefers to prevent water from getting in your ears, while still being comfortable and able to hear.
    Thanks

SDBoardHoarder likes this.
  2. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
  3. Salinity

Salinity Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Oh man - I could go on for days about this, as I've been on a quest for the perfect plug for a few years now. I have a hole in my left eardrum, so keeping water out as much as possible is critical. I've tried just about every type and not found one that is hands-down the best for me (yet). Ear canals are very individual, so something that works well for one person may not work well for others.

I currently use the Macks Aqua Block purple plugs - they work pretty well but can irritate the ear canal with prolonged use (at least mine). They can get pushed in by a hood as well, but I keep coming back to them after trying others.

I recently tried the JBL hydro plugs - thought they worked well for a bit, but for some reason they stopped working and I went back to the Macks. I did like how they wouldn't go too far into my ear canal.

I tried Doc's pro plugs on two different occasions - I think I'm between sizes, so they just don't work for me - wouldn't seal.

I tried all manner of moldable silicone - never could get a tight enough seal.

I haven't tried surf ears (mostly due to the cost) or a custom kit yet - but that may be next.

4. Mbaltazar

Mbaltazar New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Portugal
    Surf Ear's 2.0. It works as they say; let sound in keep water out. Very adaptable since you have a full kit with all size options. The "leash" to secure both plugs works good too, even on wipeouts... No way you can go wrong with them.

They are not on the cheap side, but once you get them you won't be wasting money on any other solutions.

5. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I tried Doc's Pro Plugs a while back, but I wasn't totally crazy about them. I wore a hood once and the pressure of the hood on the earplug led to borderline excruciating pain after a while where the edge of the plastic was digging into my ear. YMMV. I did trim them for a better fit but I don't think I ever quite got it working right.

I now use Mack's pillow soft moldable putty earplugs. You mush it around until it seals up your ear. (Not actually into your ear canal, just over top of it.) You can use the same ones for many sessions and change it out if it gets funky or loses its stickiness. Pros: They are comfortable, work well, cheap, and available at most drug stores. Cons: They attenuate your hearing quite a bit, so it leads to a socially uncomfortable amount of "huh?" and "what?" when someone tries talking to you in the lineup. A buddy says I do a lot of polite nodding when I have them in.
    https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Pillow-Soft-Silicone-Earplugs/dp/B003LZQGN6

6. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Docs since his first ad in Surfer. Around '73(?). Over 60 years surfing and my ears are perfect as far as Surfer's Ear goes (other issues not counted :)
    And always a hood when there's a cold wind, or just early in the AM and cold.
    If you're in for the long haul, you gotta take care of your ears.

DJR likes this.
  7. walkingtheplank

walkingtheplank Active Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Doc's for sure - been using them for years

8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    Doc's... gave me my first pair while he was handing them out in the Steamer Lane parking lot trying to drum up biz...ended a chronic ear problem, none since...surf with them, swim laps with them...always use the ones with the hole for surfing...and if I do somehow get a little water in the ear when not surfing with a hood, use Macks Ear Dryer to evaporate same

9. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
  10. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Patagonia hood
    Or
    Surf ears plugs