Summer of '69

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Veterano, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
  2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I think mine was 6’9” but could have been longer. It didn’t look anywhere near that radical!! :eek:

3. Squid

Squid Active Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I was told by the owner that it was bought at Koseff’s in Beach Haven. Super light, super narrow, screams speed.

PeakMaster likes this.
  4. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Do you recall Freedom Surf Shop in Beach Haven?

PeakMaster likes this.
  5. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Vaguely. I remember Kosseffs...an old house behind the main store on the Blvd. Sold Nolls exclusively. Refresh my memory re:Freedom.

6. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Ken and his Brother Russ and myself opened Freedom in 1970. Sold Surfboards America out of Virginia Beach and Surfboards Hawaii. Fitzgerald who had the Rick Surfboard Shop close to the Ron Jon Shop would toss a couple of Rick Surfboards to sell at the south end of LBI
    I got drafted cam back in 1972 spent some time in CA then was the first dealer for Sunset Surfboards on the east coast. They became our best selling boards. By 1973 I wanted to live in Encinitas full time sold to Ken Scott. He kept the doors open and had a very successful business for another 15/16 years.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    deemce and PeakMaster like this.
  7. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I had a Messenger made for me by some dude out of the Rick shop in 1972. Actually had a Sunset I bought from a guy I knew a few years later. But it came from a shop up near Noormandy or Lavallette or Seaside.

8. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Sunset Boards were great some of the best quality glassing of the era. I wanted to also get Casters in the Shop. Bill Caster. Thought that having Caster and Sunset in the same Shop would hurt each other’s sales. He was good friends with Ed Wright.

PeakMaster likes this.
  9. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I loved my Sunset. Kind of a downrailer...maybe not the best for NJ beach breaks but I was younger and that board flew in NJ Fall surf. One of my favorites though was a Channin round pin that got from Peter Poe's shop...Surfers Union in Lavallette...until Grog started carrying Joey Thomas boards.

Back to LBI...Chucky Barfoot and the Baugh bros. ruled back in 69-72.

10. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    Sammy Baugh and his brother were hot surfers, they had a younger sister that moved up Maui.
    People heard her screams one night, a search has never turned up what became of her

DJR and PeakMaster like this.