Summer of '69

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Veterano, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
  2. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Aw man, great stuff Vet, thanks for posting. Cool they liked the S deck.

3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    If I remember right it was also the time of one of the biggest swells ever on the West Coast.

4. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Great video!!! Brings back memories!!!!

5. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    Yeah, winter of'69. Unreal H-Bay for me. See, there was more to '69 than Manson and Altamont. :)

SeniorGrom likes this.
  6. northbeachboy

northbeachboy Active Member

Aug 16, 2004
    USA California
    I'd like to add to that list one of my favorite boards from that time that I was riding when I lived in NJ...a 7'3 Channin/Diffenderfer I bought new at Surfers Supplies in Ocean City NJ from George Gerlach...great rider, rounded tail transitional board...I traded-in a 8'0 Surfboards Hawaii V-bottom... andrewromano023.jpg

7. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    Yes, the winter of ‘69 was another quantum leap, I may have shaped the Channin / Diffenderfer, but by late fall Bahne and Hynson were refining the down railers while the mainstream were still ensconced in the S decks mini models.
    November was the Smirnoff Pro Am at Steamer Lane and Dobson, Nuuhiwa and Hynson would dominate the competition on their hard railed designs in the triple overhead swell.
    It was one of the turning points in surfboard evolution that would define performance surfing

8. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    I was riding Diffs in '69, an 8' and a 7'6". They were (and are) great boards. But I agree with Jim on the down rail sea change that came right on the heels of this year. It really opened up a zone of the wave that was, IMO, not utilzed until the rail line/foil changed.
    Interesting that both riders in the vid chose the Chote as the winner. Dennis is an unreal craftsman and boat guy. True little known guy as far as surfboard shapers go. I had a 10'6" eagle that I sold to MR8. Great big board!

hankster likes this.
  9. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Dennis Chote also designed and built some very nice racing Sailboats.

10. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    That's what I pointed out (or tried to). DC much more known and lauded in the sailing world than the surfing world

Artz likes this.