Suggestions for New Faces in Ventura (C Street)

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by KDenning, May 8, 2020.

1. KDenning

KDenning Active Member

May 14, 2015
    1. Don't let the paddleboarders bark at you. Your wave is your wave and the paddleboarder's wave is also your wave.
    2. Please don't complain about the crowd or the conditions.
    3. Don't forget to smile and have a fun time.

NCJohn, VitaminC and BrazilButtNut like this.
  2. bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04 Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    So you’re saying to blatantly drop in on the SUP?

Definitely do that.

In fact make sure to do that at Hanalei Bay or Makaha as well. See how it works out.

3. KDenning

KDenning Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Now I'm not sure about Makaha but at least in Hanalei everyone on a stand up paddleboard was respectful, polite, and easy going.

I didn't see them bark at anyone, I didn't see them call anyone off waves screaming "hey! hey! hey! mine! mine! hey!" and it never crossed my mind to drop in on any of them at home or in Hawaii.

Today was a level of disrespect that I haven't seen in the water before.

BrazilButtNut and bluemarlin04 like this.
  4. bluemarlin04

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    I hate SUPs more then anyone.

I’m just joking around.

I won’t burn anyone off the bat but if they start taking every wave then they will get stuffed til they leave or paddle down the beach.

Just last week at Second Beach, RI this lady on a SUP paddles out and sends her board flying when tryin to take the first set wave after everyone else been waiting.

I wasn’t having it and took the next 5 waves from her for that.

5. KDenning

KDenning Active Member

May 14, 2015
    I've had paddleboarders here thank me for respecting their waves and that gesture went a really long way.

Today we had something more similar to your post from RI.

A guy in his mid 50s paddles out into our already overcrowded line up - dry boardshorts - paddles in to the first set wave, and proceeded to bark at everyone that even thought about taking off no matter what section of the wave they were sitting in. Unfortunately a girl in her mid 20s took off about 50ft in front of him and that's when things went from bad to worse and that's when he got an earful from more than just me.

6. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    I remember watching Bird burn some loudmouth in LJ a number of years ago. He paddled back out and said "the louder they yell the more I go." with a big grin :)

pintail, Artz, bluemarlin04 and 4 others like this.
  7. bluemarlin04

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    To be completely fair.

If someone came out on a longboard and took the very first set wave after everyone else had been waiting- they would get burned too.

8. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    Yeah...you can't walk straight into an addiction meeting and just start talking.
    You'll get your turn.
    Sit back and watch, learn how the place works, who is who, and the vibe of the group.

KDenning likes this.
  9. bluemarlin04

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    I watched someone do it at Bowls once. He caught an earful and ended up realizing his session was done and paddling down to in betweens

Artz likes this.
  10. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    It had to be ‘62 at Ala Moana, I was just starting to be proficient at surfing and paddled for a set, but the much older local spun and dropped in front of me.
    When he paddled back to the take off I said to him that you took my wave.
    He turned to the crowd and loud enough for all to hear, with his arm held high, finger pointing to me, “ hey, da Haole said I wen take his wave”.
    For the next 45 minutes I had a ride share program going with the rest of the local boys.
    It was an early foot in my mouth, it could have been a boot in my ass