Suggestions for a 9' Longboard for California beach breaks?

Confused

Mar 11, 2008

Confused

Mar 11, 2008
I think you need to define how you want to surf, there’s so many options for “beachbreak”

What size waves are we talking?
Do you want to be noseriding?
Do you want to be carving turns and not use your feet very much?

Given that I pretty much only surf beach break, Personally I’m only riding something that long at chest high or below. If it’s clean it’s a pig inspired modern log that pocket noserides but redirects quickly. Current fave is locally shaped but Thomas has a lot of different models that fit.

If it’s junky then I’d be erring towards 8’6 and either something outlier / vaquero ish or more eggy 2+1
Not trying to noseride, more so into 5's, trimming and top to bottom glide... so guessing more speed shape ;) . Already have a few dedicated nr's...

Confused

Mar 11, 2008
Modern Mal can be bit too techy imo.. nose is so pulled in
I would recommend going back to Eric and ask him to blend pigged Super Sled with hints of his NR -> Eagle and/or Sand Crawlers with subtle rounded square tail for a bit more loose turns. This way you can still cross step and cheater 5 with more confidence than a Modern Mal type boards.

I'm planning to ask for a 9'4" Sand Crawlers with year end bonus and I mainly surf beach breaks.
Rode a friends EC Pistolero... that was pretty nice.

stopchewingplease

May 1, 2021
SoCal
This may be unpopular, but my favorite beach break boards besides dedicated noseriders have both been more traditional, flat rocker+soft rail boards, specifically those made by Tanner (ex. the Tanner Baby [Phil Edwards inspired ofc] and Tanner Dash).

With so many ways to ride fast beach breaks on boards to diminish the challenge of the wave, I find using those older style boards more rewarding because they have more variety and challenge to them.

The Tanner Dash is best around 9' - 9'5" it seems