Suggestions for a 9' Longboard for California beach breaks?

Confused

Mar 11, 2008
Looking to fill a quiver hole between 8'6" & 9'6"... any recommendations for a 9'

Was looking at the Arenal modern mal or maybe a Bing Izzy 2?

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
in that size your sort of need to think about how you want to ride the beach break. To me there are 3 styles...
Noserider with a soft rail
Sort of a glider / big midlength design
performance style longboard

Me personally i probably ride my 8'6" more than any other board. Mine is in the glider / big egg category. I figure if i want to do the classic noserider thing go as big as possible. When i go 8'6" i am thinking speed, control, trim and turns. I think the big mid / HP longboard are sort of the similar vibe.

I think the bing you are looking at is sort of a noserider... If you already have a bigger NR I would go for something more speedy and nimble.

Personally I ride the Yater HP speed shape in an 8'6"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 14.32.18.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 14.32.18.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 95

Confused

Mar 11, 2008
Nice, yes, I have an 8'6" EC mini glider. I like the yater (think you bought that when I picked up the pocketknife from you). All my other longboards are 9'6" > 10' so looking for something smaller and more nimble for working on cross steping and occasional stretch 5's. The EC I have is pretty pulled in nose, so not really enough vol.

Looking more for a square tail or piggy shape then a pin... but that Yater is sexy.

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca

Yosh

Jan 31, 2019
El Segundo
Modern Mal can be bit too techy imo.. nose is so pulled in
I would recommend going back to Eric and ask him to blend pigged Super Sled with hints of his NR -> Eagle and/or Sand Crawlers with subtle rounded square tail for a bit more loose turns. This way you can still cross step and cheater 5 with more confidence than a Modern Mal type boards.

I'm planning to ask for a 9'4" Sand Crawlers with year end bonus and I mainly surf beach breaks.