Stuck center fin screw (embarrassing plea)

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
OR better yet mix up a batch of epoxy. Fill the entire box channel. Three hours later it’s cured and you have a super solid ‘farm fix’. No confusing tools needed.

:)

kyle

Jun 2, 2010
or grind the notch a little deeper with the dremel to get a better purchase.
or stuff a rubber band in the notch to help the driver grip
or jb weld a nut to the seized screw
or use an ez extractor bit
or just grind off the head
Damn Tony. You’re like the EOS repairs. @Mizrachi

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Hahaha Yeah, I know SeniorGrom. Guilty in a way. I maintain my stuff but haven’t moved that fin in a while.

heading to the hardware store now.

Don't feel too bad. I put a pivot fin in my Yater Spoon one day because I heard it would help with noseriding. I didn't touch it for a good 10+ years because I just wasn't into fiddling with fins at that point. I can't remember if I had problems or not once I got the urge to switch it out, but you're not the only one with the set-it-and-forget-it approach. I did learn my lesson though, having had a better fin for it in my shed all this time.

kyle

Jun 2, 2010
Thanks gents. I followed @Mizrachi’s lead and went to 3 hardware stores and finally to get a dremel bit. Stuck it into my neighbor’s angle drilled and deepened the groove of the flathead screw. Even then it was still difficult.

promptly chucked the screw and bolt and dropped in an OG adjustable screw and a new, narrower based flex fin into my Avocet.

Sometimes the 9’ 4A feels like it’s dragging water something fierce so this might help.

And the 9’ 4A goes into my new-to-me Clandestino!

yeeeeewwwwwww!

jamboards to the rescue.

thanks guys