Stuck center fin screw (embarrassing plea)

kyle

Jun 2, 2010
Hey yah, I’m a kook. I set a fin a few years ago and now the damn thing won’t budge. Ive tried wd40. Twice. Let us sit snd do it’s thing. Bupkiss.

before I take a mallet to the fin and box, what do you all recommend?

I don’t want to put anything on it that would eat at the fiberglass but I want to swap out the fin pronto.

NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
Kroil is awesome if you can find it.

Worst case, grind off the screw head with dremel or angle grinder if you have a steady hand. You can tape around the area or put down cardboard/sheet metal to protect the surface. Make sure sparks aren't hitting the board too. Pull out fin and tab and what's left of screw will come out together.

kyle

Jun 2, 2010
Hahaha Yeah, I know @SeniorGrom. Guilty in a way. I maintain my stuff but haven’t moved that fin in a while.

heading to the hardware store now.

Mizrachi

May 16, 2013
NY
Kroil is awesome if you can find it.

Worst case, grind off the screw head with dremel or angle grinder if you have a steady hand. You can tape around the area or put down cardboard/sheet metal to protect the surface. Make sure sparks aren't hitting the board too. Pull out fin and tab and what's left of screw will come out together.
or grind the notch a little deeper with the dremel to get a better purchase.
or stuff a rubber band in the notch to help the driver grip
or jb weld a nut to the seized screw
or use an ez extractor bit
or just grind off the head

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
What type of tool do you need for the screw?

For worn out hex sockets I have success with gently hammering a torx bit in

For a traditional slot screw I would try the Dremel options as mentioned above first