Stoker V machine - Fowler or Anderson?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by newlyn, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    BREAKING NEWS!

"Marmalade" Derek's orange fabric on deck 6'8" snapped on a 15 ft. face when he was underwater and his head & board met on less than amicable terms. Something had to give. Better that it was Marm vs Derek's cabasa. BROKEN "MARMALADE" DEREK'S 6'8".jpg DEREK BARRELED IN NICARAGUA..jpg

Artz likes this.
  2. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Derek is headed back stateside for a couple weeks. I've got to churn out some fresh sleds that we've gone over. These will be be little rockets max length 6'6" the rest in the 5's. Shorties snap less but you gotta rise to the occasion to be able to rip on tiny sleds in mondo waves.... especially the new version of Twinnies I'll be doing for him!

Artz and JMJackFish like this.
  3. Cory Wallace

Cory Wallace New Member

Aug 28, 2020
    los angeles
    Hey, eveyone! I was on this thread about a month ago asking questions about fin configs on a 8ft NVM that I had just purchased.

Since then I've had some more time on the board and it's really working for me. I was originally wondering about going 2+1, thruster, or single. I decided to start with an 8.5" single and it's been an absolute blast! I think Bruce has stated that you can ride these boards farther up than other mid-lengths, but I figured out that I was too far forward. Years trimming a long board from the middle had programmed me to step to the middle for speed. I can trim my VM with my back foot about 18 inches in front of the center fin box, and then take a quick shuffle back when it's time to carve. When the wave has enough juice, I can spend most of the ride prettly close to the center fin box. Hot damn! A few days ago I was able to carve up to the lip, cut it 180, and then tic-toc the nose back and forth several times on the way back down to another bottom carve. Pretty slick for 60+ litres of foam!

Thanks for the advice, but, as usual, it was the surfer and not the gear that needed to change.

Artz likes this.
  4. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Nice Cory. Let's see if this one from the U.K. works
    ------------------
    Hi Bruce,

I have absolutely loved the board you made for me. It absolutely flew in the Maldives and here at home in the UK. It’s suffered a few reef hits and I’ve kept it repaired and watertight but at some point she’ll go!

It is time for a new sled ….

The volume and paddling ability is spot on and the five fin option is sublime and I’ve find the perfect set up is as a Quad with a nubster.

However two small points which maybe you can advise me on, there is a fair amount of chatter on very large waves as its so fast I need to surf it off the back foot hence I’m very aware of the length of it stretching out in front of me whilst riding down the line, there’s a lot of board to snap off the top!

Is there anyway to make a shorter version with a similar volume and wide point forward of the mid point ? I'd still need the low rocker for wave catching but with a little less length say a 6’2”.

What do you think? I’ve attached photos of the board you made for your reference.

We would have to ship to the UK Gatwick or Heathrow.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hope you and yours are well and happy during this madness.

Cheers!

Rickx

5. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    FOTOS didn't cut n paste over. So.......... here we go. I'll add my reply to him next post. RICK U.K. 3.jpeg RICK U.K. 2.jpeg RICK U.K. 1.jpeg IMG_3981.jpeg IMG_3980.jpeg

Cory Wallace likes this.
  6. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Rick,
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I looked up our previous correspondence and see you are 51 years and about 180 lbs. (however many stones that is, lol) and 5'9" tall.

A 6'2" version would typically be 21.25"x2.65"x39.7 Liters. Your current board is about 46L.

Since your board was made in 2016, the boards have evolved into what I am calling "The New Machine" which is the next generation of what was the original Stoker V Machine. The design retains ALL of the earlier super user friendly design attributes, but I have redesigned the last 8" or so of the tail section.

The Panel Vee is deeper with a thinner tail block. Using Plane Geometrics, the angle of Vee & Deck in conjunction with the Tail Rail Contour dramatically Eric's 7'8".jpg Sean Murphy cutback BF New Machine 2020.jpg Difference of vee.jpg

7. Planktom

Planktom Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
  8. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Here's another one that came in............... not a New Machine or BFV8, but that's becuz I'm not a 1 or 2 trick pony. I didn't know where else to post it, so here's where I'm parking it for now............. then I gotta get my ass back in the shaping room as I'm 50 orders deep and more came in last night & this morning. I don't know what the hell is going on, but I'm not complaining by any means. I think I better order one of those Copper Fit back braces from Brett Favre....
    --------------------------------------------
    Testimonial #6477 Brandon L's hippy 6'7" Single Fin for Beachbreak. He also has a 7'4" for bigger days... Testimonial 2020.jpg

9. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Ah geez, here's another one......... BFDE (Double Ender) oh well this thread has officially morphed. Nuthin too new for Jamzzzz.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Bruce,
    Wanted to send a quick “thank you!” for your email and advice. Stopped by Wave Front today and picked up the 7’9” Double Ender. Immediately waxed it up, slapped a leash on it, and took it out to the Point. The board rides EXACTLY as you indicated, it absolutely rips and allows for early entry, easy paddling, and some amazing fast, flowy turns. What would have been a frustrating session on my shortboard turned out to be 2 hours of true afternoon fun. I can’t wait to take it out for some heavier sessions this winter!
    At some point, I’ll definitely pick up an 8’4” Machine as well; it was tough deciding between the two boards, but that Double Ender caught my eye first and I think that ultimately influenced my decision.
    Thanks again!
    -Robbie
    BFDE 7'9" Deck view.jpg BFDE 7'9" 2+1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Cory Wallace, Artz and DanSan like this.
  10. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Derek's new quiver is in progress.
    1st shaped is a 6'5" RP. Full Single Concave to flat @ Tail block with some flip for release. 2+1 options using 10" box & Futures side boxes. Beak Nose. 6'5"x19-7/8"x2-7/16". Derek is super fit and weighs 160 lbs. sopping wet. 45 years old. BF original psycho-delic art. The other foto is the beginnings of Twin #1, a 5'4".... to be continued. Derek 6'5" DECK.jpg Derek Painted Bottom.jpg Derek 6'5" Bottom  2020.jpg Derek's 6'5" Bottom.jpg derek's 6'5" Profile.jpg Derek Beak Nose.jpg DEREK 5'4" TWIN 2020.jpg BF SHAPING ARCHIVES.jpg PEACE SIGN BARREL.jpg

deemce and DanSan like this.