Stewart Surfboards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfdaddy, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Surfdaddy

Surfdaddy New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    I was in the Stewart shop today and I was checkng out the new Redline Hydro Hull. Great looking board. I loved the look and shape with the pintail and 19 inch nose. As I searched for more info about Stewart Surfboards on this forum I discovered a lot of peple have had quality issues with their Stewarts.

Here is my Stewart story:

I bought a 9'0 sand finished Hydro Hull in 1994 and it was my only board for 10 years. I surfed from San Miguel to Santa Barbara from one foot to ten foot with that board. When I spent three years in New England I took it with me and surfed it in Rhode Island and New Hampshire. The Stewart flew off the top of my car once on the I-5 in Del Mar. I had it repaired ASAP. It's the surfboard both of my kids first stood up on. It's my 9 year old sons "go to" board. Now almost 20 years later its got some dings and some delam, its taken on a little water but its still a fun board to surf. I am probably going to take it in and have repaired professionally for my son since he loves it and so do I.

I don't know if I got lucky or if their quality has really gone down hill. Based on my experience I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.

2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    My first two longboards were Stewarts. They were pretty similar to Hydro Hulls, although they weren't branded as such. I don't ride Stewarts anymore mainly because I found that I prefer a traditional single fin over high performance 2+1 longboards. It seems like most of Stewart's offerings are more HP oriented.

In my experience, Stewarts are really lightweight... but the tradeoff is that the glass is super thin, fragile, and prone to dings. The foam seems to be light too. It seemed like it dinged if I clunked it into ANYTHING, no matter how lightly it clunked... spider cracks in the glass from strapping it too tightly on my roof racks... lots of pressures and heel dents (more than I normally create)... a big dent from wiping out and landing on the board once... to make a long story short, it wasn't a super durable board. Part of that was my fault for clunking it into everything, but part was just the light glass job. The traditional style longboards I ride now are much more durable (and I probably take better care of them now being a more seasoned surfer), but that's the trade off. They've got heavy foam, heavy glass, and are generally heavier boards.

I'd say that Stewarts are a nice choice for (1) experienced surfers who prefer high performance style longboarding -- lots of turns, hitting the lip, etc... or (2) beginners or kids who want a longboard but are unlikely to want to lug a heavy log across the beach each time they want to surf.

3. Gretsch

Gretsch Member

Aug 31, 2008
    USA
    Surfdaddy wrote:
    Kinda says it all, doesn't it?

First LB: Stewart Henry Ford Model. Still hanging in my dad's rafters for when I go home.

4. surferchic5555

surferchic5555 Member

Jul 13, 2006
    description says a 9'0 can float a surfer up to 250 lbs. Do you know approx thickness of this model off the rack?

5. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

surferchic5555 wrote:
    Yeah, 5" thick. ;)

Seriously, I don't know any 9'0" boards that would truly float someone who's two fitty. I think the Harbour size/weight charts are much more accurate:

http://harboursurfboards.com/surfboards.asp

Eric

6. Surfdaddy

Surfdaddy New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    surferchic5555 wrote:
    They only had one on the rack. It was 3 inches thick. I don't really think the 9'0 for every one will work but at 5'8 and 160 pounds it will work for me.

7. SuperKool

SuperKool New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    USA California
    I started out on Stewarts, first a used CMP and then a new HH. I guess you could say they were marketed well and the price was right but it didn't much matter for riding whitewater as a kook and I thought they were fine. I can't really say mine fell apart completely but I was certainly inspired to learn the basics of ding repair and the decks became quite difficult to wax attractively with all the heelies. Once I'd decided that noseriding was my goal I got my first real log, a Dano OP, and haven't looked back. I guess it could be argued that there's a place for hp longboards, but for me noseriding is what longboards are all about and there are plenty of boards that can turn and also noseride better than any tri-fin.

Also, tons of local shapers all over make hp longboards, try out something different.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I think I just figured out why Roy changed the spelling of his last name.

9. Roy Stewart

Roy Stewart Active Member

Oct 1, 2004
    New Zealand
    Roy didn't change it, Stewart and Stuart have always been the same name and I use both, my legal name is still spelled Stewart however.

I don't mind which spelling people use.

10. Surfdaddy

Surfdaddy New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    SuperKool wrote:
    I agree with the local shaper statement. My last four boards were shaped by local guys. My old Hydro Hull is fun but it doesn't suit my style any more. My tastes in boards have changed over the years.

I was just curious about the quality of new Stewarts vs my experience.